BALI/KOMODO .. of fierce currents and cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little Brown Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Will be going soon to Bali this August, and will be doing a week long Komodo liveaboard (aboard Divemaster 1) and probably 1 or 2 daytrip dives to Nusa Penida in hope of seeing the molamolas...oh plus a Tulamben dive of course.

I've been doing a lot of reading about Bali/komodo and it seems everyone is saying the currents are fierce. How fierce is fierce? Is it anything comparable to Puerto Galera's Canyons in spring tide or Boracay's Yapak or is it worst?

Also know the water is cooold.. so I'm planning to wear a 3mm shortie over my 3mm fullsuit..funny looking but what do you think?

I'm also scouting for a good dive shop in Sanur where we can do our daytrips, any thoughts on the following operators and which would you choose:
a. Aquapro (so far heard good reviews about them but most expensive)
b. BIDP
c. Ena Dive Center (cheapest amongst the 3)

Many thanks and regards!!

Little Brown Monkey

I was in Komodo last August and water temp was around 26-27C in the northern part but dropped to about 21C around South Rinca area. A hood is definitely a must. Current can be strong but not any worse than Canyon in PG but be careful of down current. Generally if the dive guide knows the area well, you should not have much problem. However if the dive guide take you down in a wrong area or did not check the tide carefully, it can be worse than PG. Most dives I did in Komodo were relatively easy drift dives.

ssra30:
I was in Komodo last August and water temp was around 26-27C in the northern part but dropped to about 21C around South Rinca area. A hood is definitely a must. Current can be strong but not any worse than Canyon in PG but be careful of down current. Generally if the dive guide knows the area well, you should not have much problem. However if the dive guide take you down in a wrong area or did not check the tide carefully, it can be worse than PG. Most dives I did in Komodo were relatively easy drift dives.

Hey thanks for the info ssra30. I was kinda worried about the currents from all the stuff I've read (3 to 4 knots etc) .. so your note is quite re-assuring. Anyway, they say the Divemaster I DMs know the area pretty well since they've been diving it a number of years now. Yep got my hood ready.. and my overlapping shortie. Had some friends who dove in Bali last year and they would wear 3 wetsuits in a dive.. I can only imagine how they dove in it.

Little Brown Monkey

Little Brown Monkey:
Hi everyone,

Will be going soon to Bali this August, and will be doing a week long Komodo liveaboard (aboard Divemaster 1) and probably 1 or 2 daytrip dives to Nusa Penida in hope of seeing the molamolas...oh plus a Tulamben dive of course.

I've been doing a lot of reading about Bali/komodo and it seems everyone is saying the currents are fierce. How fierce is fierce? Is it anything comparable to Puerto Galera's Canyons in spring tide or Boracay's Yapak or is it worst?

Also know the water is cooold.. so I'm planning to wear a 3mm shortie over my 3mm fullsuit..funny looking but what do you think?

Little Brown Monkey

I have had the pleasure to visit Komodo several times and yes currents can be weird, but nothing not manageable if the DMs know what they are doing - you will notice that sometimes the water looks like boiling from the surface and this is definitely when you do not want to dive !

Water can indeed be cold (down to 22C in the South when I was there) and the shortie over the 3mm is a popular option. Don't forget to bring a hood and gloves... In the north water temp was between 27 and 30C.

Enjoy your trip !

frogfish:
I have had the pleasure to visit Komodo several times and yes currents can be weird, but nothing not manageable if the DMs know what they are doing - you will notice that sometimes the water looks like boiling from the surface and this is definitely when you do not want to dive !

Water can indeed be cold (down to 22C in the South when I was there) and the shortie over the 3mm is a popular option. Don't forget to bring a hood and gloves... In the north water temp was between 27 and 30C.

Enjoy your trip !

Thank you frogfish for the sound advice! Will definitely look out for the "boiling water" symptoms !
Oh yes, definitely cant forget my gloves...and my camera and my video...

Hi Little Brown Monkey,

My other half and I went to Bali last year, the currents were strong but great fun. The first dive we did was from Lembongan Island to "Jarasic Park" with Bali Hai http://www.balihaicruises.com/ they were fantastic. Well I'm pretty used to diving in 30c living here in Thailand, but jesus it was 27c about 1 meter from the surface, we dropped down and well it hit 18c, I was wearing a very compressed 5mm long suit and no hood. Big mistake, yes do wear one! It was worth it though as we did see Mola Mola.
If your going to Tulamben can I recommend the best place I have ever stayed in "Scuba Seraya" it's a resort run by a realy freat Swiss guy (Patrick) and his wonderful wife (Muggi). They have a fantastic set-up of private villas on the beach. The personal service we received from them was outstanding. We stayed in our own villa on the beach, with out door bath, sala and four poster bed. The rates are also really cool. The diving was great as Patrick has his own Tender. Check it out. http://www.scubaseraya.com
Have a great time.

Tigertail

Tigertail:
Hi Little Brown Monkey,

My other half and I went to Bali last year, the currents were strong but great fun. The first dive we did was from Lembongan Island to "Jarasic Park" with Bali Hai http://www.balihaicruises.com/ they were fantastic. Well I'm pretty used to diving in 30c living here in Thailand, but jesus it was 27c about 1 meter from the surface, we dropped down and well it hit 18c, I was wearing a very compressed 5mm long suit and no hood. Big mistake, yes do wear one! It was worth it though as we did see Mola Mola.
If your going to Tulamben can I recommend the best place I have ever stayed in "Scuba Seraya" it's a resort run by a realy freat Swiss guy (Patrick) and his wonderful wife (Muggi). They have a fantastic set-up of private villas on the beach. The personal service we received from them was outstanding. We stayed in our own villa on the beach, with out door bath, sala and four poster bed. The rates are also really cool. The diving was great as Patrick has his own Tender. Check it out. http://www.scubaseraya.com
Have a great time.

Tigertail

Dear Tigertail,
I checked out Scubaseraya's site and it looks amazing!! Hmmm, this might call for a change in plans then... Thanks for all the great recommendations.

Lil Brown Monkey

Dear Lil Brown Monkey,
Yep Patrick and Muggi will look after you. This was the best holiday by far. The diving was great, the company, the accommodation and of course the food.
Go and have a good time, let them know that Lisa and Mark from Phuket say hello.
Cheers.

Hi Little Brown Monkey,
BIDP here - I note we are on your list of dive companies and are based in Sanur - drop us an email with your requirements and we will be happy to help. Regarding your questions: The currents around Penida can be strong and can flow up and down as well as horizontally. They can make for exhilerating diving on occassion and all the good dive operators will select sites which are appropriate for the divers experience and the sea conditions at the time. Sunfish are usually seen when the water temperature drops - as tiger tail said - expect 17 or 18 degrees around Penida at this time of year so your extra layers will be useful (plus a few extra!). We also recommend Tulamben - diving is fantastic up there and it is well worth an overnight stay or longer. The water is much warmer up there - around 25 degrees - so fewer layers are required. Tulamben also has much less current movement and makes for fantastic relaxed diving.
Enjoy your trip.

BIDP:
Hi Little Brown Monkey,
BIDP here - I note we are on your list of dive companies and are based in Sanur - drop us an email with your requirements and we will be happy to help. Regarding your questions: The currents around Penida can be strong and can flow up and down as well as horizontally. They can make for exhilerating diving on occassion and all the good dive operators will select sites which are appropriate for the divers experience and the sea conditions at the time. Sunfish are usually seen when the water temperature drops - as tiger tail said - expect 17 or 18 degrees around Penida at this time of year so your extra layers will be useful (plus a few extra!). We also recommend Tulamben - diving is fantastic up there and it is well worth an overnight stay or longer. The water is much warmer up there - around 25 degrees - so fewer layers are required. Tulamben also has much less current movement and makes for fantastic relaxed diving.
Enjoy your trip.

Hi BIDP,
I did drop you an email and Luci answered all my questions quite promptly. My email addy was under joyful_sun..I'm just using my husband's Little Brown Monkey signature. Many thanks and will definitely be visiting you soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom