Bali Incident

Does the threat of terrorism enter into your choice of dive site?

• Yes I have changed my travel plans

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No I will not change my plans

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • A bit , I have adapted my travel plans

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I go but worry alot

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Very sorry to hear of Terrorist attack in Bali and condolonces to those who lost friends or family. I for one would like to hear some discussion of Travel and safety in areas like Bali. I know many who frequent this board either have extensive experience there or live there. I suspect Bali like anywhere is a potential terrorist target but it shouldn't stop us from going there. Opinions?

Bali, Indonesia in general, has a multitude of problems. The world wide terror threat has only elevated the already present dangers.
I have family in Indo, and I worry about them constantly.
Only two years ago, they were barracaded in their own subdivision, armed with guns and other weapons, in an effort to protect themselves from the rioting mobs.

This type of thing has been going on for many years, and will not end for many more to come.

The US focus on terrorism is just putting a spotlight on the present dangers.

The incident in Kuta, at the Sari club was horrifying, I myself have had MANY drinks in that club, and it chills me to the bone to think of what happened.

This attack struck at a predominatly Aussie crowd, that is what really scares me, and yes it will effect my travel plans. I hope to be back in Indo within 2 months in an effort to extracate my family.

No-one can guess what will be next, this is becoming a scary world.

I have always wanted to go there and almost did on my honeymoon. I will say it's not on my top ten list anymore. ;-(

We were going to go to Israel and Red Sea, but with the PLO terrorist bombings, we are going to go the Pacific somewhere
and it won't be Bali !!!!

Dive in a safe place,
Caymaniac :boom:

The Bali tourism retraction is starting. Club Med has closed its Bali village for at least week, all British tour operators have canceled tours to Bali over at least the next few days. Both the US Department of State & Britain's Foreign Office have warnings on Indonesia travel.

First two Americans involved confirmed. They are Steven Brooks Webster, of Huntington Beach who was on a surfing trip to celebrate his 41st birthday. A former University of Nebraska football player remained unaccounted for. The former football player, Jake Young, 34, was in Bali to play a final tournament with his rugby team from Hong Kong.

Sad.

DocVikingo

Let's not forget the following:

30 Australians dead
180 Australians missing
113 Australians injured, mostly serious burns

<snipped>

bengiddins once bubbled...
Let's not forget the following:

30 Australians dead
180 Australians missing
113 Australians injured, mostly serious burns

Try finding that information on FoxNews. If you read the US media, you would think that 2 Americans and other "foreigners" were killed.
Some of us are paying attention.
Prayer light is lit for all the families, and Australia in particular.
Rick

Ben.
I have recieved a multitude of email from my American friends and business asscociates, all wishing us well, and praying for the safe return of 4 of my friends missing in Kuta.
I dont think anyone is understating the impact on our people or our country.

Dave

Guess I was a bit harsh ;-0 just feeling frustrated that it's happened so close to home. Prayers and thoughts, Dave.

I know exactly how you feel Ben, I have been less than hospitable over the last 3 days, I feel so helpless here in Atlanta, I am having a hard time getting straight answers, and communications into Indo are never the best in good times.
I would like very much to be with friends and family as they go through this agonising wait.
Regards
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom