Bali Incident

Does the threat of terrorism enter into your choice of dive site?

• Yes I have changed my travel plans

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No I will not change my plans

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • A bit , I have adapted my travel plans

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I go but worry alot

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving in Bali before, in 1989, and had a great time.

I've always intended to go back - Bali was on my list of 2 or 3 potential holidays for next year before the bombing and it still is.

I don't think I am that stupid to think that lightening can't strike twice, but I would be surprised if something similar happened again there (at least in the near future). Besides, there are plenty of other places where this could happen, and what the bomb does of course demonstrate is that most places where 'westerners' are found are potential targets.

I reckon it won't be safe on our own doorsteps before long - suicide bombings in the UK for example will unfortunately be a reality at some point I fear.

Hi Guys.

I am new Here, so I first should start off Saying Hello to EveryBody! LooX like a great forum.

Yes, I am a Scuba Diver, while I only currently hold my Open Water Certification. (I am of course an Avid Kite Surfer, SkyDiver, and Bungee Jumper) I am however going for my Advanced Open Water Next Month...from there I would like to do the Wreck, Cave, Diving courses for sure.

At any Rate. I too am very Sorry to hear about the "Bali Bombings" I am a "Yank" from Los Angeles, who currently Resides in Perth, Western Australia. I was in Bali only about 6 months ago, and stayed about 5 blocks from where the bombs blasted. This struck me on a personal level as did the 9-11 Attacks did (I was in Los Angeles at the time). The reason why it struck me on a personal level is because my wife is Australian, and I, of course Reside in Oz on a Regular Basis.

It hurts me to know that these people are hurting their own more then the "Western Society" if you will. As these 3rd world coutnries (Indo) need Tourism, just to try, and make it by....if you will.

I guess what I'm saying is don't let these Faceless, Sick, Inhumane Cowards, twart your Diving/Travel Plans. I know for a fact I will be back in Kuta; watching the Surfers, and Having a Dive.

Cheers.

Much Love to ALL who lost Loved Ones in the, yet Horrific Incident.

My wife and I planned a trip to Sipidan and Bali for the end of this week. Bought the tickets etc. We changed our plans just after the bombing and are leaving for French Polynesia this friday instead. The way I figure it is that this should be a vacation. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder and wondering if the Abu Sayef group will be coming to kidnap more tourists of the beach ala 2 yrs. ago in Sipidan.

There are lots of great places to dive in the world. Why risk it? The chances are slim that something would happen, but what if?

Just acouple of days ago, there was Indonesian inspired riots in East Timor. The police station amongst other buildings was burnt and riots with thousands of people. Some deaths aswell and that is WITH UN troops over there. Fortunately the kiwi troops in the most part returned home last week. We still have 30 observers over there and Australia still has troops over there. We lost 3 soldiers over there. One to gunfire. There are other civil wars on 2 other islands in Indonesia, last I heard. Without the pressure from the Australian Government in particular for action by the Indonesian government, there would have been far less done to preserve the safety of tourists after the bombing. I know the local Balinese would appreciate the tourists to return, but the bombs were set off by local Balinese terrorists, who, when seen on the TV are looking pretty proud of themselves. the local infrastructure has suffered badly.
NZ had 3 deaths, 30- 40 injured.
The Australian Government did a fantastic job with the injured. Far moreso that our own NZ government. Australians should be proud of themselves and their country, particularly as they pull together to save Sydney against the fires.
If you want a good dive destination, then try OZ.
Keep up the good works mates,
Your neighbour from across the ditch,
The Gasman:wink:

Like Sipadan Island kidnapping some years back, the terrorist is unlikely to hit the same place twice.

Why ?

After the incident, security is beefed up. Will the terroist take that risk and not getting their objective (ie that strike)

Well, I will head for Bali soon....

Since I was a boy I've wanted to visit Bali. Now that I finally have a chance, I will go. My sympathies to all those hurt and to those who lost friends, family and countrymen.
As an aside, I will also achieve another lifelong goal...that of learning to dive.
I am not oblivious to potential dangers, but I refuse to allow murderous savages to dictate where I travel.

what the money-spinning news networks protray to their eager audiences many tens of thousands of miles away.

IF you have any contact with a REAL person residing in East Asia or who knows the region well, even if it's just thru' email or a forum, do talk to him or her and I'm sure you'll be able to get the REAL picture easy.

A lot of stuff that you read on the web you MUST be very skeptical about it. Truly. People like to blow up an unhappy incident to epic proportions and distort reality to the extent of CloudKokatoo-ness. An objective perspective on the issue cannot be obtained from a lot of material you get on the web. I advocate that PERSONAL correspondence is the only way to really find out.

Also there are very simple things one can do to keep away from trouble. As with every country there are DODGY areas and "HIGH-PROFILE" areas of questionable morality to AVOID.

They are NOT difficult to identify.....talk to people even when you're on the plane flying down....nice travellers who've been there will often share much of their knowledge!

I've just been to Bali couple months back ...do PM me if you'll like
to know a little more on the island.

Cheers!

Balinese are predominantly peace loving Hindus.

Kind and fun loving. I have been before and after the Bali bombing and will go again, it is that nice.

The Sari club bombing was very sad, but I never liked to visit that place - I have had many other opportunities to see Aussie and Euros getting pissed out of their minds.

I live in Bali since 2000, therefore I know I exactly the condition here during and after Bali Bomb Blast 2002. As far as I know, the local Balinese people here really hate that terrorism act since it ruined everything especially economics here.
Now, the tourist from Taiwan (mostly) has come here in quite a big group. But from Europe the number is still very low.
Lay off in some big hotels is starting.
The good things I can say that Bali is still safe and the people here is still friendly. Come to Bali and help them helping themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom