balanced diaphragm vs. balanced piston

Which is better for recreational ocean diving?

• balanced diaphragm reg

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • balanced piston reg

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff,
I agree...

I have used the AIR2 during my OW cert classes, even though I dive the long hose (5 ft) for OW and my secondary on a bungee - DIR style.

Having used the AIR2 for 8 wks, I can say that, I thought, it breathed poorly. Although I didn't have any problems venting air out of by BC too much while breathing off of it (as I recall - maybe I didn't vent the same time I used the AIR2 - can't remember!), I'm not an avid fan of these regs.

I agree that the OOA diver will most likely be panicked and will grab the first working reg he/she sees - the one in your mouth!

Thats the main reason I support DIR-style reg configuration.

I tried the Air2 out in a pool and have to say that I was not very impressed with it's breathability. It breathes quite hard.

I have a Zeagle Escape BC with the OctoPlus. It has plusses and minues. To me it is rather big and bulky. Also, the buttons for inflating/deflating are not comfortable for using with one hand. With a whistle attached for boat signaling, the hose from the port going to the whistle plus the length of the whistle is of course longer than the hose leading to the Octoplus second stage and this makes the whole assembly bulky.

I'm almost tempted to go with a regular second stage and bungee it around my neck like the DIR people do. My only hesitation is that the bungee would somehow get caught around my neck and strangle me.

Comments?

ET:eek:ut:

DivingDoc once bubbled...
to go with a regular second stage and bungee it around my neck like the DIR people do. My only hesitation is that the bungee would somehow get caught around my neck and strangle me.

Comments?

ET:eek:ut:

Bungee stretches quite a lot.. it's extremely easy to pull the whole bungee/reg assembly up off your head..... as long as you're not wearing a snorkel. It would be hard to "strangle" yourself with *anything* underwater.. considering how easy this is to deal with, I don't think it's a concern. I definitely like having the safe second right there.. very secure feeling, and i don't have any hoses sticking way out to the side of me.

Hi DivingDoc

As for corrosion on piston regs? I just overhauled my SP MK20/S600 for the first time. NO CORROSION! My wife has the same setup. NO CORROSION! I also have a couple sets of MK10+/G250. NO CORROSION!

My only care is to soak it in clean water while I'm cleaning and hanging up my other gear. That's it! All my diving is salt water and I do it about two hundred times a year.

I'm in the process of servicing a conshelf 21 reg my girlfriend was given by a friend. It seems to be in great shape and she had it serviced regularly, but it hasn't been used in a few years. I'm considering converting it into the Supreme model with the new spring retainer and diaphragm so that I can fill the spring chamber with silicon oil. Does anyone have any experience with this set-up. It's gonna cost me about $70 extra to convert it ($40 spring retainer). I know it will help keep nasties out of the spring chamber, but how will it affect the performance?

Jameie bubbled: I know it will help keep nasties out of the spring chamber, but how will it affect the performance?

It will not effect performance at all.
The silicone oil transfers the pressure. Many diaphram regs have similar environmental protection kits, they work just fine.

MikeD
:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom