Bahamas Liveaboards and Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well- here's one more remedy- although of all listed, if you can get by with ginger, that has the least negative side effects, I have not yet seen bonine listed, which seems to work well with little side effect.

oops-just saw bonine mentioned as triptone in one of last posts- if ginger is not working, thats the best one...

yeah, those little boats rocking in the waves bother me more than a liveaboard.
The only time I have "fed the fish" is on a little boat in the Keys 6 yrs ago diving the Duane (deep water, open ocean..), we had to wait at the surface for one diver for 15 minutes with diesel fumes blowing in our faces, the boat had no cover so sun was killing us, and we had 3'-4' waves rocking the boat. I was really sick as were most of the other people... but I learned a big lesson from it. #1... stay out of sun (and ice pack on my neck would have been great, thanks Cappyjon for that idea), #2... stay out of fumes, #3... get busy talking to others and distract yourself from the rocking, #4... ginger tablets and lots of water would have helped. The only beverage offered on that boat was little CapriSun pkgs, not great for hydration!

Liveaboard diving is waaaay different than that experience for me. Just the fact you can be in the open breeze, under a cover, and walk around is sooooo nice.

And I am now down to double-digits on my countdown! Woo Hoo!

robin:D

yeah, those little boats rocking in the waves bother me more than a liveaboard.
The only time I have "fed the fish" is on a little boat in the Keys 6 yrs ago diving the Duane (deep water, open ocean..), we had to wait at the surface for one diver for 15 minutes with diesel fumes blowing in our faces, the boat had no cover so sun was killing us, and we had 3'-4' waves rocking the boat. I was really sick as were most of the other people... but I learned a big lesson from it. #1... stay out of sun (and ice pack on my neck would have been great, thanks Cappyjon for that idea), #2... stay out of fumes, #3... get busy talking to others and distract yourself from the rocking, #4... ginger tablets and lots of water would have helped. The only beverage offered on that boat was little CapriSun pkgs, not great for hydration!

Liveaboard diving is waaaay different than that experience for me. Just the fact you can be in the open breeze, under a cover, and walk around is sooooo nice.

And I am now down to double-digits on my countdown! Woo Hoo!

robin:D

I don't know the physiological mechanism for how/why ice applied to the neck or wrist works, but I've seen it work for many divers. There must be something to it...

Let us know how your Nekton trip goes-the Pilot was my home for almost 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom