Bahamas Diving-Split from Spiegel Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I can answer some of the questions about our diving, but I don't do the tech diving so I'll have to get someone else to answer the technical questions.

Our Over the Wall dive has been one of our signature dives for 50 years. We descend over the Tongue of the Ocean and sit on a ledge at 185 feet. From the time we leave 20 ft until the time we have to LEAVE 185 and start ascending we have 5 minutes. The rest of the dive is spent at 55 or so. The total dive time is 18 minutes and when time correctly, is a no deco dive. It's led by a team of divemasters and we control time and depth. Like I said in the Spiegel thread, I've been doing this dive for two years and have never had an OOG situation.

As far as Church Windows (225ft) and some of the inland blue holes, they do dive on AL80s but they carry extra gas and have stage bottles.

The deeper dives and cave dives are done on a case by case basis after spending time with divers to evaluate their skills.

Whoever recommended Brian Kakuk for caving was right on. He's a friend of Small Hope's and dives our caves here. We've got an awesome cave survey that he did of one of our Blue Holes on the wall in the Lodge. :)

If you're a diver that like to stay within recreational limits, we've got plenty of great dives for that too! Over 60 dive sites within 15 minutes and only a few are below recreational limits.

Dear divebunny. I have to congratulate you on stating the facts and giving your honest opinion. Since you are a PADI instructor with more then 500 dives under your belt and have been a member of this board for some time I'm sure you are aware that your remarks or the way the dive op you work for organises certain dives will rubb alot of people (DIR, CAVE, TECH divers) the wrong way.

I'm not a cave diver so I'm not going to remark on that. I do have some experience with diving in the 130-160 foot range so I would like to ask you some questions on the 185 bounce dive.

- Can every C-card holder join (I assume PADI AOW with deep specialty)?
- Do participants have to show some experience diving deep on air?
- Do participants have to proof that they've dived recently and are fully capable to control their buyancy?
- Are divemasters-Instructors diving bigger tanks?
- Are buddies paired up as you go (without any previous experience diving together)?
- Is there someone diving redundant gear (doubles?)
- Do you make a gas plan? Do your customers do?
- Do you know what kind of reserve you need to get someone back up in case of failure?
- What's normally the group number and the divemaster to participant ratio?
- Is this a trust me dive?
- You understand that perception of narcosis can be different than your real decrease in mental bandwith?
- You understand that narcosis can change entirely from one dive to the other. There are just too many variables (slept wel, caffeine, CO² build up, taskloading, etc)

-What would you do in following scenario. You drop over the ledge at 20 feet and drop down to 185 feet (about a 2 - 3 min drop). So you have a 2 to 3 min NDL at that depth. You are looking at one of your customes signaling something to you... in the meanwhile another customer who is dropping a bit more gets really narced... he think he sees something below and while pointing at it starts finning down. You notice him dropping down only 5 secs later when he's already 30 feet below you. What do you do?

Do you go after him or think to yourself... he's a gonner. Ok so you go after him... you catch up at 230 feet. At this depth this guy thinks he's a fish and looks at you fully at ease with the world, he's in awe, the drums are beating in his ear, he's nice and cozy warm, but he doesn't understand why you are motioning alot of stuff at him... just relaaaaaxeeee.... so you grab his BCD and start finning up...

I've done some rescues from 130 feet up to 30 feet as an excercise for the AI curiculum. Both neutral, the other one behaving unresponsive. I was diving double 10L tanks (double 72cft), boy by the time I had lifted him up, started the ascend and had arrested the ascend at 30 feet that manometer showed less than 100 bar (1500 psi). That's with 60 extra cft.

I've also seen someone behave erratic at 150 feet, doing crazy stuff (entering a wreck when the plan clearly stated no entry). By the time you finally get through or manage to grab him you've lost valuable time.

So basically... I understand that the old hands at your diveshop (probably the owners) have been doing it like this for 40 years... but you as an experienced instructor should know better, don't you think?

Hi all,

I can answer some of the questions about our diving, but I don't do the tech diving so I'll have to get someone else to answer the technical questions ...

Our Over the Wall dive has been one of our signature dives for 50 years. We descend over the Tongue of the Ocean and sit on a ledge at 185 feet. From the time we leave 20 ft until the time we have to LEAVE 185 and start ascending we have 5 minutes. The rest of the dive is spent at 55 or so. The total dive time is 18 minutes and when time correctly, is a no deco dive. It's led by a team of divemasters and we control time and depth. Like I said in the Spiegel thread, I've been doing this dive for two years and have never had an OOG situation.

As far as Church Windows (225ft) and some of the inland blue holes, they do dive on AL80s but they carry extra gas and have stage bottles ...

"The word 'experienced' often refers to someone who's gotten away with doing the wrong thing more frequently than you have." - Laurence Gonzales, Deep Survival

P.S. Aren't you on YouTube auditioning for the PADI marketing search?

I checked the website but didn't see where it said that all of the dives were non-deco.

It says on this page under "Wall dives":
Bahamas Dive Sites - Andros Bahamas Scuba Diving

The wall is unique in its zones of marine, fish, coral and sponge life, because some species only live at specific depths. All our wall dives are no decompression dives. multi-level dives - you'll notice more than one depth listed for the wall dives below. If you'd rather not dive to the deepest planned depth, you can stay at a level above, closer to the edge of the wall.

not only do they say it is no-deco after dropping to 185' for a couple mins (at very edge of a NDL), they say it is multi-level so they are implying that they will spend more time after that at some other shallower depth (55' per dive bunny) all without incurring a deco obligation. I don't quite follow how it works but maybe it does work out :idk:

Both those dive plans are at best irresponsable and reckless, and at worst suicidal in my opinion. 225 in a cave for non trainined divers using single 80's on air? :confused::shakehead: holy shenanigans

Did you see the post that read (in part):

As far as Church Windows (225ft) and some of the inland blue holes, they do dive on AL80s but they carry extra gas and have stage bottles.

"Carry AL80s" may mean singles, manifolded doubles, independent doubles, or side mount. "Extra gas" may mean anything from guests diving singles with DMs diving doubles up to and including guests diving doubles with stages. "Stage bottles" suggests they have back gas but each diver is diving stages and the back gas is for redundancy and/or deco.

I certainly wouldn't infer that divers are doing 225' on single AL80s from that statement alone.

Did you see the post that read (in part):

"Carry AL80s" may mean singles, manifolded doubles, independent doubles, or side mount. "Extra gas" may mean anything from guests diving singles with DMs diving doubles up to and including guests diving doubles with stages. "Stage bottles" suggests they have back gas but each diver is diving stages and the back gas is for redundancy and/or deco.

I certainly wouldn't infer that divers are doing 225' on single AL80s from that statement alone.

This is the direction the converstaion went before the website police scrubbed the thread.

Yes it is possible that for the 225 foot dive (and that dive alone) the resort breaks out manifolded doubles, back up regs and other assorted gear.

It is then possible that they train their guests on the proper use of this gear.

Possible but highly unlikely.

I would be willing to bet a month on the Agressor that they do these dives with singled 80's.

But I cannot imagine it's a problem as it was clearly stated above that the Dive Masters monitor every guest's gas supply.

What could go wrong?

Almost everyone I know would say "double AL80's "not "AL 80's", they would make the distinction, so yes its possible that they were doubles but improbable in my opinion. May I point out in my reponse the other parts mainly being 1.) untrained 2.) most likely on air

I would be willing to bet a month on the Agressor that they do these dives with singled 80's.

almost everyone I know would say "double AL80's "not "AL 80's" so yes its possible that they were doubles. Again may I point out in my reponse the other parts mainly being 1.) untrained 2.) most likely on air

Nevertheless, there is no reason to bet or guess. If you are concerned about their practices, you can call or email them and they will tell you exactly how they conduct their dives to 225 feet. Why speculate and try to glean hints from incomplete information?

I suspect we all agree that diving to 225 feet on any gas is a foolhardy proposition for those who haven't received the appropriate training. I'm not going down there no matter what gear is provided!

It's a forum and thus speculation is what happens, if you are concerned why not call them up and set us straight? :wink: Though we do have divebunny13 posting who professes to be with the operation in question, perhaps she will chime in again instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom