Bahamas Diving-Split from Spiegel Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at that quote and the post it referenced, I see 185 feet, nothing about 225 feet.

I checked the site referenced in that posters signature and see nothing about deep cave dives.

I'm not seeing where they say they'll brief you on the use of cave diving or where they indicate they will take untrained divers beyond their levels of certification.

Show me where it says that, or where it suggests that divers are taken on dives beyond their level of training.

Second request

Check out the "Little Frenchman" 175 fsw cave dive with "fully redundant cave diving equipment " after being "thoroughly briefed on how to use it."

I have a friend who dove to 180 fsw (on air) at this place for his ~10th dive after certification. Not what I think is appropriate with that level of experience.

AE

Check out the "Little Frenchman" 175 fsw cave dive with "fully redundant cave diving equipment " after being "thoroughly briefed on how to use it."

I have a friend who dove to 180 fsw (on air) at this place for his ~10th dive after certification. Not what I think is appropriate with that level of experience.

AE

I admit I really don't care about c-cards but this kind of thing seems a tad excessive for new divers. Perhaps I'm wrong...

I admit I really don't care about c-cards

You "don't care about C-cards".

What is that supposed to mean?

My guess is that either you don't care about C-cards because you're not a licensed dive shop or dive operation so you don't have any responsibility or liability towards other divers and it's "every diver for him/her self"

Or

You think that a scuba diving certification is completely worthless and anyone who is so inclined can just strap on a rig and jump in the water.

Or

You don't have an emotional attachment to a laminated piece of paper with some writing on it.

Which is it?

Thanks.

Figures the one place I didn't check. I was looking at "caverns" and "walls".

Yeah sounds a bit reckless...but very cool for those so inclined.

I just might have to add that to my "to-do" list.

For proper training for deep and overhead diving in the Bahamas, I'd recommend taking courses with Cristina Zenato on Grand Bahama and/or Brian Kakuk on Abaco. Both are highly qualified and experienced technical and cave instructors. You can learn the skills you need while training in the paradise of the islands and then be able to safely enjoy the beauty of deep walls, caverns, caves and other overheads such as wrecks.

The 185 foot dive listed is not in an overhead environment but we know from the OP that it is done with a single Al80.

The 225 foot dive is listed thusly:

Church Windows
One or two people
running time: 10 minutes
maximum depth: 225 feet
in water time: 30 minutes
This dive offers some of the most unusual formations to be seen on our wall. We will descend down to the top of the wall where we will follow a permanent line to the entrance of a tunnel or cavern at 200 feet deep. We will need our lights briefly while entering the tunnel which will be loaded with silver side minnows.

The tunnel goes in the wall and then turns left and down to where we will exit at 225 feet, above a huge limestone archway. We will immediately begin our ascent up to the top of the wall. A reef shark has been spotted here on almost every dive so we will keep a lookout for him! ...

... So yes it is possible that the 185 foot dive is done with a single Al 80 and all the other dives are done with proper cave diving gear.

Just a curious question... Doesn't O2 toxicity start somewhere around 218'? Or is it deeper?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom