baggage fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
do any of you guys have any tips for getting round the extortionate baggage fees set by airlines??

my housing and case weighs 22kg. my clothing and scuba kit weighs 20kg

i have found one airline (el al) which allows 20kg checked baggage and 20kg of sports baggage. i rang them up to check this as the website isnt very clear and it turns out you cant use the sports baggage allowance for u/w cameras..urrrgh.

so, i was thinking could i just check in the camera as my 20kg to do what i like with... then when i see it disappearing down the belt into the hold i place on my sports baggage case loaded with my clothes covered by my wetsuit, fins, bcd, regs etc etc ..

at least this way if they check i'll only have to pay excess on my clothes as scuba is excepted rather than a 22kg camera and case if they wont except it...

(they allow one mask, one bc, fins, set of regs, one wetsuit and a cylinder)

Carry on the heavy stuff, not just the fragile stuff. Get a jacket with big pockets. Sometimes they weigh carry on bags too.

Fly Southwest when ever possible. They have great rates and No baggage Fee's (But I think they only fly within USA

Fly Southwest when ever possible. They have great rates and No baggage Fee's (But I think they only fly within USA

For now they do:D Hopefully they will satrt doing International flights to places that are a pain in the butt to get 2 like BONAIRE:shakehead:For a place that gets over 60,000 divers a year:shocked2:It is a pain to get to.

I don't think it would be possible to carry on a big amphibico housing. a good idea with small housings What happens if you get caught and you're told you can't carry it on??? Go home?

I'm from the uk travelling to south africa.

Can't think of a reason they would not let you bring your housing on a plane. Your bag might be too big for their rules, but I don't think they would care about the housing itself. I do know someone has brought a Gates EX1 housing on the plane with them. I brought my Gates FX7 on the plane to Indonesia.

Usually there are other heavy items such as baterries, chargers, ports, housing ballast, etc., that could be put into a carry on. The weight adds up fast. Just a suggestion.

There are several cases you can get to carryon the housing, made like a tote bag and not padded well enough for checked bag. I used to do this with my full video rig. Look at Amazon and B&H PhotoVideo and see if something fits your rig.

Best way to do it though is with a large Pelican case as a checked bag. The Pelican 1650 is the one we see most people using. One of my friends actually got this and took all the foam out except the top and bottom layer, then wraps all his gear in his clothing for the trip. :wink: That way he only has one other bag, his dive gear to check. He then carries on the actual camera, his mask, and regulator. I may be doing this myself for my trip coming up in April.

robin:D

Can't think of a reason they would not let you bring your housing on a plane. Your bag might be too big for their rules, but I don't think they would care about the housing itself. I do know someone has brought a Gates EX1 housing on the plane with them. I brought my Gates FX7 on the plane to Indonesia.

Usually there are other heavy items such as baterries, chargers, ports, housing ballast, etc., that could be put into a carry on. The weight adds up fast. Just a suggestion.

surely you can only carry it on if its less than the stated hand luggage allowance .i think my endeavor prob weighs around 15kg and the amount usually given to carry on is around 7kg. i am a bit confused with your comments, sorry. what did you carry your fx7 in? what was your plan if they said its over the weight allowed for carry on (which i presume it was)? thanks

There are several cases you can get to carryon the housing, made like a tote bag and not padded well enough for checked bag. I used to do this with my full video rig. Look at Amazon and B&H PhotoVideo and see if something fits your rig.

Best way to do it though is with a large Pelican case as a checked bag. The Pelican 1650 is the one we see most people using. One of my friends actually got this and took all the foam out except the top and bottom layer, then wraps all his gear in his clothing for the trip. :wink: That way he only has one other bag, his dive gear to check. He then carries on the actual camera, his mask, and regulator. I may be doing this myself for my trip coming up in April.

robin:D

brilliant idea, how did i not think of that.

surely you can only carry it on if its less than the stated hand luggage allowance .i think my endeavor prob weighs around 15kg and the amount usually given to carry on is around 7kg. i am a bit confused with your comments, sorry. what did you carry your fx7 in? what was your plan if they said its over the weight allowed for carry on (which i presume it was)? thanks

I used a standard 22" wheeled carry-on bag. Went into the overhead compartment without a problem. My small backpack (personal bag) held my camcorder, housing monitor and other electronics.

I think airports in the UK are more strict than others. Last I looked, US based airlines were no longer listing weight limitations for carry-ons. In my experience, as long as you have a standard 22" sized carry-on and you put it into the overhead by yourself, they leave you alone.

Depending on where I am going, sometimes I put the housing in a pelican case and check it in. But camcorder always comes with me on the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom