Bag drag question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had just come off the ferry, winnjet, and were heading to the bus station. 2 or 3 taxi guys approached us, one was 500 and another 750 pesos. Our bicycle/porter guy said the collectivo/taxi was 200 pesos each. We gave it a try as we were 20+ minutes before the next bus left for Cancun. There were 4 of us in the taxi, 2 going to T2 and the 2 of us to T3. Made the trip in about 40-45 minutes right to the front of the airport.
That "4 of us in the taxi" - was the Collectivo van? 200 Pesos/$10 USD each? About the same as the bus, isn't it? Sounds nice, as long as the driver doesn't have to wait long for others nor packs the van like the Cozumel airport vans. The 500 Peso taxi wouldn't have been big enough for four divers with gear.

One time escaping in advance of Hurricane Dean (who later veered south, but it was a good idea to run), I caught the 5-something AM ferry. There was a long line boarding for that first escape ferry of the morning. A driver approached a few of us in PDC as we headed towards the bus station and offered to take us for a price that seemed reasonable enough. I had no idea how full the buses would be with the storm approaching, or even if the buses were dependable, so I offered to split it 50-50 with two newlyweds with little luggage and we loaded up, one of my bags in the bag seat between the newlyweds. Turned out to be a gypsy cab and he drove like a maniac, but we got there hours before my reservation. Gawd, but I miss Continental. They flew in empty planes to load up as many escapees as possible, and had changed my reservation without fee.

Another time I booked Chief's favorite van for private service from PDC to my dentist's office at some mall on the way to the bus station. It was a little pricey, but I was in a hurry, irritated that I had to go back for a midway fitting, and saved me from having to get a cab from the station to the office. Usually, I am fine with the bus.

No such thing as colectivo/taxi.
It's either a colectivo or taxi. Colectivos to the airport would be found in the queue on 2nd between 10th and 15th.
They are similar to the ones that you see on the island. Some are newer and nicer - the ones going to the airport and Tulum have a/c for example, but none can accommodate any more luggage than can fit on your lap.
You would not find a colectivo close to the bus station.

I have not seen colectivos go to the airport.

Taxis...yes.

I guess what we rode was a shared taxi. They, (bicycle porter), called it a collectvio/taxi though. 2 persons with no luggage and the 2 of us with 2 bags. It was a slightly cheaper than the bus, left right away saving us 20+ minutes, and got there to T3 in about 40-45 minutes. We have used the ADO many times and liked it, but wanted to give this a try. Also have used USA transfers which are great going from Cancun to Playa.

I guess what we rode was a shared taxi. They, (bicycle porter), called it a collectvio/taxi though. 2 persons with no luggage and the 2 of us with 2 bags.
It must have been a big taxi. Two bench seats with three riders in back, and all of the luggage in the trunk? Even two divers can fill a trunk easily.

A small threadjack, but still on the bag drag topic.

Does anybody here have first-hand experience with the Happy Shuttle in Cancun for getting from CUN to the ferry in Playa?

As has been pointed out, the ADO busses actually run every 20-30 minutes. But since you know me, I can vouch for Happy Shuttle and say we have booked online and used them in the past and were quite happy with it. We usually go with ADO when it's two of us but if you have 4 or more it's just as cheap to have a private shuttle and you don't have to worry about your bags getting off at an earlier stop.

We had just come off the ferry, winnjet, and were heading to the bus station. 2 or 3 taxi guys approached us, one was 500 and another 750 pesos. Our bicycle/porter guy said the collectivo/taxi was 200 pesos each. We gave it a try as we were 20+ minutes before the next bus left for Cancun. There were 4 of us in the taxi, 2 going to T2 and the 2 of us to T3. Made the trip in about 40-45 minutes right to the front of the airport.

The first taxi driver I came to wanted $50 US and the second one was less, but still way more than the bus or the colectivo. I didn't take the time to try to barter with them as I was trying to keep up with my tricycle guy and our luggage. Good tip on asking the tricycle guy where to find the colectivo :)

I'm reading on the ADO website that you can have one 55 pound checked bag and one 11 pound carry-on. Does anyone know if they enforce these rules?

I'm reading on the ADO website that you can have one 55 pound checked bag and one 11 pound carry-on. Does anyone know if they enforce these rules?
Highly doubt it. The weight limit on the carry-on would be a definite no.

I've taken the bus a few times with 140# of bags by myself, never with a problem. That could always change, tho.

For two or more people, there are competitive vans.

Back
Top Bottom