Bag drag question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm reading on the ADO website that you can have one 55 pound checked bag and one 11 pound carry-on. Does anyone know if they enforce these rules?
I'm 99.9% sure they didn't weigh our checked bags or carry-on when we last used ADO in June of 2019 (pretty sure there was no scale anywhere near the bus at the airport). Our checked bags were slightly less than that, but I'm sure our carry-ons were way over 11 lbs.

I've taken ADO a dozen times, never seen them weight a bag, never seen a scale. I think it would take extreme circumstances, like a full bus and cargo space was tight and you were over the top overpacked before they said something. Otherwise, if there's space the path of least resistance for everyone is to just load the bags and go.

I took the ADO bus Monday from CUN to Playa. My large bag weighed 47 lbs and my hardcase rolling carry-on weighed 26 lbs, they went on the bus with no problem. The bus company did not weigh them, I did that at home.

I've taken the bus a few times with 140# of bags by myself, never with a problem. That could always change, tho.

For two or more people, there are competitive vans.
I bet the weight of whistles, mirrors, flares, dive flag, and gps add up quick. :)

I bet the weight of whistles, mirrors, flares, dive flag, and gps add up quick. :)
"Traveling light" is not in our vocabulary, either. In the leadup to every time we go to Cozumel, we talk about what we could leave behind to lighten our load, but in the end it doesn't make much difference. This time, like usual, I tried to make note of anything I brought that I didn't use or didn't want to have in case I needed it, but other than a couple of Tshirts and a few pairs of underwear (one does not want to run out of underwear) there wasn't much.

To each is own, but the bag drag is not for me.

I've done the bag-drag quite a few times. In one instance, I arrived at PDC ferry very close to the next departure. I was anxious to purchase a ticket, and there were a few people lined up at the ticket booth to buy theirs, so I was feeling nervous that I would have to wait another hour or two for a later ferry. A local sensed my urgency and directed me to approach another local close by, who had a portable contraption over his shoulders, and appeared to be a vendor of something or other. When I inquired about one-way ferry ticket to Coz I didn't trust the figure he quoted--was able to compare it to the posted rate at the ticket booth, and learned he had quoted me an inflated price (inflated by $120 pesos or thereabouts). It was not a huge amount, but I resented the overcharge. I did manage to purchase a ticket from the ticket booth; I noticed when I turned to look for the "vendor", he had quickly disappeared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom