Bag drag home, stay in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sallygirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be doing the bag drag for the first time; usually fly into CZM. Our flight home departs CUN at 12:35. It seems best to travel to Cancun and stay there to catch our flight. Comments and hotel suggestions? Thank you!

You could also stay in Playa or Puerto Morelos.

You could also stay in Playa .
^ ^ ^ Yep,,,What he said ^ ^ ^

Or at Courtyard Marriott close to the airport.

Downtown Cancun near the 'centro' (main) ADO bus station has lots of decent relatively cheap hotels for about $40 and up. Lots of restaurants in the area and the 'Artisan' park which is several blocks away is very pleasant in the evenings with music and food vendors. The airport is basically an industrial area with few amities nearby. The ADO bus to the airport is only $78 MXN and runs every half hour from downtown to the airport.
I find the 'Centro' area (city hall is several blocks down the street) to be very pleasant and have never been concerned about safety in the well traveled area. I used to use Hotel Kin Mayab but another chain has purchased it and it seems to now be at least partially a hostel. I have heard good things about the Hotel Plaza Caribe which is across the street from the bus station

We stayed at the Westin in the Royal Beach Club when doing the bag drag back and an early morning flight. I put my wife on a flight back to CUN because she got so sick on the ferry to CZM. She got to enjoy the place longer than I did. She loved it, but it's not the cheapest of the alternatives. The happy hour with free food and drinks kind of offset the cost.

You can always take an early ferry. Have a plan B if the bus is late. If you take anything other than the ADO to CUN be prepared you and your driver have to hump your bags uphill to the parking lot. I've not been able to get the rickshaw guys to get me close to the valet lot up the hill. No big deal, but if you have a bunch of gear you will have to help hump it up the small hill to get to where they stage.
Besides the barrage of taxi's that will take you to CUN airport...
Couple of plan B's:

CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFERS | Cancun Airport Transportation to Cancun Hotels by CARM

Airport Transfers - Cancun Valet

Hi Sally girl,

I'm also flying for the first time out of Cancun instead of Cozumel. I scored a $109 dollar flight from Cancun to San Diego using the Cross border Xpress.I asked the same question a few months ago about staying over night in Cancun. Easy sleep in morning, no stress airport transfer is what I desire.

Hotel Plaza Caribe was recommended to try. It's located directly across from ADO bus terminal for easy arrival from Playa and departure to Cancun airport. It has decent reviews, $50 dollar range booked on line with a pool and on site restaurant. I'm going to give it a try early July and will report back. Looking forward to getting out and exploring the neighborhood looking to find a decent restaurant/bar within a block or two. Maybe a few of the Cancun bag draggers can recommend a restaurant or bar to try.

Good luck and safe travels,
Keepdivin

You can always take an early ferry. Have a plan B if the bus is late.

ADO is one of two or three things in Mexico that are on time.
On time = < 5 minutes late.
Let's forget the conversation about a late bus for a moment, as there are busses leaving PDC for CUN, (next Monday mornig), at:

7:00, 7:10, 7:30, 7:40, 8:00, 8:10, 8:15, 8:40, 8:50, 9:00, 9:10, 9:25, 9:35, 9:50, usually for $190.00 MXN.

As was suggested earlier, buy your tickets beforehand on the island.

Back
Top Bottom