Bad news from Galapagos, Aggressor 1 Liveaboard is out of service 06/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Coast Guard class sounds great. A bit difficult to find in the state of Colorado though. :D

The Coast Guard class sounds great. A bit difficult to find in the state of Colorado though. :D

State of Colorado offers it online. Even for Petroleum Engineers.... :D

This was the last pic I took as we left the tilting Galapagos Aggressor 1 from the life-raft. She had started drinking water and so we left in pitch-darkness and went in search of the closest vessel which was The Deep Blue liveaboard.
View attachment 157768

And this was our boat when we went back at daybreak during low tide. Only in the daylight did we realize that we had run aground 600-800 meters from land. At night and during high tide, it was difficult to tell how close land was.
View attachment 157764View attachment 157765View attachment 157766View attachment 157767
So scary!! Thank God everyone is okay !

State of Colorado offers it online. Even for Petroleum Engineers.... :D
$20 at Boating License Tests & Boat Safety Courses Online | BOATERexam.com® or Boat Ed - Boating Safety Course and Exam - Official Boat License and Boater Safety Test - choose your state.

Free at Free Official Online Boating Safety Course From The BoatUS Foundation if you print your own cert, $5 for theirs. I am pretty excited that my next safety course is free, $5 card - should have done this years ago, and I have been on some shady boats. Why would a boat diver not spend 4 hours learning? Shared on FB...!!

Last edited:
I mentioned thoughts about preparing because for the vast majority of these things, they are "no duh" ideas, but WE DON'T DO THEM. We don't do anything to prepare even though we're going to live for a week or more in a confined unfamiliar space that can fill completely with water. No, a flashlight on a string around your neck is probably overkill, but putting one in a known reasonably secure location next to you is a good one as opposed to, what's certainly usual for most people, not at all or some vague I have an extra light across the room stuffed in a bag location. While we have some idea of the route out of our cabin, again, very few people study it to know what the wall feels like or ceiling looks like so you can figure out which way is out in the pitch black. Having some better idea about that could make the diff between you getting out and not, particularly when the boat is lying on it's side or whatever and you've only been traveling to your cabin a couple of days paying little attention. Hopefully it was only a waste of time, but it won't be until you're off the boat.

Glad to hear I'm going to be on an "owners" boat, Wookie. Hopefully they still want to protect their own butt. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...new name, same old Doc. Your usual "everybody else is an idiot" theme wasn't surprising at all.

I mentioned thoughts about preparing because for the vast majority of these things, they are "no duh" ideas, but WE DON'T DO THEM. We don't do anything to prepare even though we're going to live for a week or more in a confined unfamiliar space that can fill completely with water. No, a flashlight on a string around your neck is probably overkill, but putting one in a known reasonably secure location next to you is a good one as opposed to, what's certainly usual for most people, not at all or some vague I have an extra light across the room stuffed in a bag location. While we have some idea of the route out of our cabin, again, very few people study it to know what the wall feels like or ceiling looks like so you can figure out which way is out in the pitch black. Having some better idea about that could make the diff between you getting out and not, particularly when the boat is lying on it's side or whatever and you've only been traveling to your cabin a couple of days paying little attention. Hopefully it was only a waste of time, but it won't be until you're off the boat.

Glad to hear I'm going to be on an "owners" boat, Wookie. Hopefully they still want to protect their own butt. :)
You might quote the post you're taking issue with.

I now wear my own inflatable vest on any boat - anywhere, don't care about laughing. I wouldn't sleep in it, but it'd be handy - except real PFDs are usually in rooms aren't they? I do sleep with an LED dive light - anywhere - and a battery powered room CO alarm. :cool: Yes, there have been boater deaths from CO this year, several, and not many boats have CO alarms.

...except real PFDs are usually in rooms aren't they?...

In the USA, PFD's must be able to float free in the event the boat sinks, so in the room is a no-no. It's a good thing you wear your inflatable PFD at all times. It isn't considered a PFD unless it's on your body. Why? They sink unless they are inflated...

An iPhone with the proper app makes a dandy GPS, and yes, I know this for a fact. It'll even drive the autopilot if you have the correct adapters.

Too bad the adaptors probably aren't IMO approved. :wink:

Nothing like kickin back in the wheelhouse chair with the autopilot remote :D

Yes, true. All mariners from IMO (International Maritime Organization) signatory countries have the option of attending school. The school is called Basic Safety Training, and it's 5 days long. Included are 2 days of shipboard firefighting, 1 day of Basic First Aid. 1/2 day of Social Responsibility (how not to call the rest of the crew "Mother****ers) and a day and a half of Personal Survival techniques, including use of lifejackets, survival suits, and liferafts. I send my crew to this school even though it isn't required. We also send deck officers (Captains) to Bridge Resource Management, including how to navigate when the GPS broke, and how not to set sail without minimum required safety equipment with passengers onboard (Hello?), and Proficiency in Survival Craft. These classes aren't required for coastwise voyages, but they are cheap compared to the lawsuits that follow when you sink your boat out from under a bunch of passengers.

You are right, Doc. The crew might not do exactly the right thing in an emergency, but I'll put my trained crew up against a pick up off the islands crew any day. It makes me sleep better knowing...

When I was in school for my license, one of my instructors (Joe Murphy of the Murphy Study Guides for all you with deck licenses) had a saying that perfectly describes this scenario "You are responsible for your own entertainment". You should take it upon yourself to know where the life jackets are, know multiple ways from your room to the muster station, keep a flashlight by your bunk, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom