Bad news from Galapagos, Aggressor 1 Liveaboard is out of service 06/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roshenamin, thank you for your first hand account of this event. It is rather impressive that you are able to write such a coherent review of what took place. I have to admit, if I was recapping such an "adventure" i think that my report would be far more scathing of those in charge. thankfully, you and your family are all in one piece.

It is unacceptable to me to have only one GPS on board.

A captain should be able to navigate just fine without modern technology, though. For them to use the malfunctioning GPS as any excuse is deplorable. This whole incident just seems like a catastrophe of errors to me...from the top down.

I haven't been on these forums in a while but like the rest of you I've read what happened. I'm so grateful everyone got off safely barring a few bumps, bruises and some fractures....but no MAJOR injuries or deaths.

I've done 4 trips with Aggressor/Dancer Fleet and have always sung their praises. Even when the Carib Dancer story came out last year I found it to be legitimate but probably an isolated incident. But this Galapagos issue.....it's not so much that it happened, but that the company hasn't done much to make statements (at least not that I've read so far) and all they want to do is "compensate their passengers" with a day of diving that they had lost.....UNACCEPTABLE!

I'm planning my next liveaboard trip and I think it'll be a return to Papua New Guinea - most likely on Febrina. It'll be my first non-Dancer/Aggressor trip - and I'm feeling more and more confident that that's a good move. This is a very unfortunate situation - this company had better start saving some face or they're going to be losing customers at an alarming rate.

Aggressor/Dancer,
Compensate your guests with the cost of their trip, airfare and comp them a future trip. THEN go public with what really happened and what you plan on doing with those that were negligent. You as upper management cannot control everything that goes on and it's understandable when you have the awkward experience of having to take responsibility for a situation that you had no control over....that's never fun. But do the respectable thing and show everyone what you plan on doing.

So it has been several weeks since anyone posted here. Any possible updates from those on the boat? Have you ever been properly compensated? Ever contacted by either of the Wayne's?

What is even more amazing is they continue to post Captain Reports on there web site like NOTHING HAPPENED. In fact there is a post covering the June 16 week. www.aggressor.com/galapagos.php The captains log listings are on the right side of the page.

My first Aggressor trip was Fiji in 2009, the trip was fantastic, the boat and crew wonderful, we even had a tsunami warning and the recall was handled very well, everything explained and missed dives were offered later in the week. My next trip was on the Cayman Aggressor, it was enjoyable, however a few items were of a concern, the advertised scooters are not available to guests because the Captain doesn't want guests to use them due to complications; but does approve of himself spearing lion fish and feeding them to a couple frequent visiting sharks, guests were not consulted on our opinion of this feeding activity. There was a bit of a feeling of 'been there done that, we know what we are doing'...but all in all, still a decent trip. The same year aboard the Okeanos was a different story. Ship is in poor state of repair with bolts coming out all over the deck; air conditioning in the main salon eating area not functioning; beds with very thin foam for a mattress with a 40 plus hour rough sea crossing this was uncomfortable. There were no rinse tanks provided and guests are frowned upon when using deck showers that might rinse off gear in anyway; dive operations were not well managed, we had a diver go missing, no protocols were followed, our divemaster abandoned a dive after all divers had descended, free ascent into the blue by ourselves hoping for the best. The meals were very below average; spaghetti three times, chicken legs three times...not up to the usual standards of Aggressor. Unfortunately, we also had a frequent flyer on board who was very cosy with the Captain, so much so that we all got a nice moon shot when he was showing her his goods....not to mention she did most of her dives chasing away everything, which was not addressed the entire trip. Several guests mentioned concern over rinse tanks, protocol, driving the inflatables with more care, reminding guests not to chase away sea life; all comments were met with a language barrier. This declining experience has sent me to Explorer and Undersea Hunter for my next two liveaboard destinations.

I was on the Turks & Caicos Explorer this past spring. Great food, great boat, great diving, and without a doubt the very best crew of any liveaboard I have ever been on. My next two liveaboards are the Rocio Del Mar next year and the NAI'A in 2015. I hear both boats have an excellent crew so they will likely give the T&C Explorer crew a run for their money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom