Bad experience with LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not renting tanks. Your assessment is only valid for the winter months. In the summer I can dive an Al80 and AL plate and not need any additional weight.

Eliminating additional weight; think about that for a moment............................... Now go rent a couple of steel 80s.

Eliminating additional weight; think about that for a moment............................... Now go rent a couple of steel 80s.

Oh my, I've never thought about that. Thank you so much! Say hello to Moon face for me.

Wait, you choose to use aluminum over steel in Travis? OK. Say hello to Dive World for me.

... backing out quickly... gone.

Making an issue of it is like telling a cop he shouldn't give you a ticket. You might explain the situation and ask about getting a credit for the air fill. otherwise, you really don't have any issue. They are trying to make money and you want to use their gear. My current shop is great about giving me discounts because I am a regular they like. They usually offer me discounts when they can, and when I want a discount I politely ask if they will give me a "cash discount." If they say they can't I accept that and smile and pay. If I threw a tantrum (and I never would), I would end up as a regular retail customer who pays full price on everything. Ask for discounts, if they don't have to run your credit card, they may save you a few bucks. Build a relationship and they will start doing you favors. Piss them off and they might hope you find somewhere else to shop.

deg

There is nothing wrong with your LDS. The problem is that your expectations are grossly unrealistic. You rented the gear and walked out of the shop with the gear. You still have to pay for it.

Évidemment !

Wait, you choose to use aluminum over steel in Travis? OK. Say hello to Dive World for me.

... backing out quickly... gone.

Not to go OT, but why is steel vs AL such a big deal, and lake Travis specifically?

Not to go OT, but why is steel vs AL such a big deal, and lake Travis specifically?

It all has to do with the buoyancy characteristics of the tanks and the total weight of your entire rig. Lake Travis is 55' below full pool so many dives involve taking your gear for a nice hike. That is unless you have access to easy boat rides and shore dives where you park right at the waters edge. :)

Daniel's sniping started when I mentioned that I wish the LDS rented steel tanks. He then took that and made a bunch of assumptions that were completely incorrect and I don't feel the need to set him straight because frankly I don't need to.

The truth is I dive a variety of tanks depending on the dive that I'm doing that day. I see that you are in Houston. Do you dive locally or only on vacations? If vacations, it's probably all boat diving and only AL80's available anyways so it really won't matter. For local diving it probably won't matter that much either as SE houston is pretty flat and the water is pretty warm and shallow. You'd have to be doing something like Flower Garden trips in a 7mil to care. Otherwise it's just noise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom