Bad experience....have you got over it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:wink: I have several - but I guess the point is that I didn't panic on any of them and figured out how to deal with them u/w and learned from each incident.

One was in doing a dive on Jupiter's famed "Hole in the Wall." This is typically a 140' drift dive with a northbound current, but on this dive, when we dropped in, the current was running slightly southward and off the reef. I was vacationing there and didn't really know the area, so I was following the DM and the group. My buddy was a local. I had trouble keeping up with the group and started overbreathing my reg - a VERY scary feeling. I started feeling that panic that comes from "OMG - I can't get enough air!!!!!" I started thinking through my options, which including just grabbing the reef (which is primarily rock, not coral) and pulling myself along, but there are scorpionfish there, so that didn't seem my best option. My buddy was ahead of me and didn't see me falling farther and farther behind and I was losing the group. So I just stopped and then suddenly realized that my Venturi was turned all the way down to minimum. I turned it up and suddenly had all the air I needed. I caught my breath in a few seconds and was able to catch up to the group. I'd burned through a fair amount of air and the dive didn't last much longer and to be brutally honest, it wasn't my favorite dive of the trip, but I was back in for a second (shallower and less stressful :wink:) dive an hour later with no issues whatsoever (with the Venturi about halfway between min and max).

Another tough one was when I was DMing a class on a VERY rough day. We do shore dives for our classes and the vis was REALLY bad at about 2 feet or less. I took 1 student out for a tour at the end of the 3rd dive and was bringing him back in (with him hanging onto my arm). I was dead on in my navigation, but the current had pushed us slightly off course and I suddenly navigated us into the rocks at the end of the jetty to the left of the cove I wanted - we started getting pounded by 3 foot waves. We surfaced and I removed my reg long enough to yell to him "Keep your reg in your mouth!" and we pulled each other off the rocks and into the cove. A VERY scary and adrenaline-pumping moment, especially since I had the student's safety in my hands and it was *my* fault for putting us both in the situation in the first place. Luckily the student was extremely calm and capable and very strong (whew!!!) and we helped *each other* out of the problem and there were no consequences (the student was extremely cool about it, thank God!). (It still bugs me, as I *know* I was dead on in my navigation - ARRGGHHH!!!! The moral of the story in that case was, under those conditions, if you *have* to tour a student, you might want to pop up - we were very shallow- and visually check bearings.)

The trick is NOT to panic, to "stop, think and act" then to LEARN from the problem for the next time something like that might happen. And by all of us sharing our problems in a public forum, we multiply that effect by being able to benefit from others' problems.

Interesting thread. I've run into my share of problems underwater but never really felt in any danger and had plenty of tricks up my sleeve so I never had to "get over" anything. I have however witnessed thing that happened to other people that I suppose I've never gotton over and probably never will. I've written about many of those incedents on this board and won't go back into any now. the cases where I was directly involved were while teaching and it caused me to completely change the way I taught and made it impossible to ever have any respect for the agency that taught me to teach in the first place.

On second thought, there was one incident in my early diving that made me realize that I didn't yet know how to dive even though I had plenty of cards. I was on a night dive about midway down a wall in about 25 ft of water. I decided to flood my mask to clear the fog. I took a big deep breath to clear it and headed up when I did. I dumped a bunch of air to stop the ascent and promtly headed down...mask still flooded. It wasn't very deep and when I hit the bottom in a cloud of silt and finally cleared the mask the way I had been taught (kneeling solidly on the bottom) my wife was nowhere to be seen. We apparently passed each other several times as she tried to chase me on my little elevator ride. the silt cloud of course complicated things some. Shortly before that she had a similar incident and we spent the next few dives in about 5 ft of water teaching ourselves to do everything we could think of midwater and rock solid with one diver tending the other as rhey managed their practice problem. That's when I invented the diving system that some one else later coppied and named DIR...joking of course but there's something there to think about. So, I guess the opening post describing a diver who isn't comfortable without a mask going to 50 meters brings back some memories.

wb416:
False premise.... none yet in 6 years of diving.

Don't worry, if you keep diving long enough, eventually something will sneak up and bite you on the *ss.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Don't worry, if you keep diving long enough, eventually something will sneak up and bite you on the *ss.

Terry

I wasn't worried to begin with... and you must have missed the "yet" in my post:wink:

... he said he KNOWS everyone has had an incident..... just because he has doesn't mean all have ...that's just not true.

boogeywoogey:
I know every diver has had a scare....it keeps you alive...

I'll briefly tell you mine and how I am just still getting over it...and your stories are welcome...

Immediately before I moved to Curacao, I had a last dive in the lake in Luxembourg. It's basically cold diving...depth 35-40m pitch black and 2 celcius,

My mask got kicked off and I was breathing rapidly waiting for my buddy to come for me...I stuck my back up leaky mask on....coughing and spluttering at 32m,

My buddy was immediately there but it seemed eternal...he kicked the mask off in the first place...I callled the dive..we surfaced, he was great.

I arrived in Curacao a week later. I did a 50m dive to try and get back on the horse but I sufferred for about 5 months...I got the panics when I saw my guage at 25m.

I hated myself being around divers going to 35 m and I said no....when a few weeks earlier they would have crapped their pants on my dives under the ice to 45m.

I think every diver has a crisis of confidence at some point or other.....tell me yours.

boogey

I think everyone is different in this way. For some people the emotion ebbs for a long time, for others they hardly seem to notice it.

I've been confronted with lots of little problems under water, including regulator and BCD malfunctions, getting hung up on a wreck, having my mask kicked off at 42 metres in cold water and nearly being drowned by a student during a rescue exercise.... None of those things left me with any kind of a tick to process but many of them did inspire me to change the way I do things and/or configure my gear. I think in my case it's just a function of my personality. It usually takes a lot to get me wound up and problems, once solved, are just over and that's the end of it.

The only incidents to date that really scared me were things that happened to other people whereby I was either present or engaged in the rescue. It's more frightening for me to be the last thing standing between someone and a major calamity (or worse) than it is to be solving my own problems.

R..

Web Monkey:

Terry

I don't know. He said that every one has had a crisis of confidence. It's one thing to say that you've never had a problem on a dive and another to say that you've never had a problem that's caused you to have a crisis of confidence. Being prepared for the problems you're likely to face makes all the diffence. Being able to avoid the problem in the first place makes an even bigger difference.

Look at some of the type of problems recounted in this thread. Mask problems, buoyancy control problems, problems controling descents, jumping in without air or with a shut off valve and not being able to turn it on, not knowing to disconnect an inflator hose on a free flowing bc inflator and so on. Some divers are lucky enough to be trained from the start such that these things either don't happen in the first place or are handled without missing a beat. Others are lucky enough to learn it later on and some just keep floundering and never get it.

It's highly unlikely that these types of problems are going to happen to Bob and even more unlikely that they'd be more than a minor inconvenience if they did. How are your descents and mask replacement skills these days Bob? LOL

Not to belittle the divers who have these problems because I was there. Divers are set up for it and it prevents many divers fom enjoying diving or even continueing in diving. Sometimes it even gets the hurt.

MikeFerrara:
...snip...

It's highly unlikely that these types of problems are going to happen to Bob and even more unlikely that they'd be more than a minor inconvenience if they did. How are your descents and mask replacement skills these days Bob? LOL

...snip...
honestly... I don't drill as much as I used to. I got so burned out that I almost forgot why I was doing the training and drilling to begin with. Fortunately, I spent allot of time this year diving with "relatively" new divers, and I must say, the enthusiasm is contagious!!

Moral of the story is that the pendulum can swing too far to the "over-trained" direction! Is practice important... sure... but "fun" is very important... and right now I'm spending lot's time having loads of it with my new scooter!! Now... as a new scooter owner, could I get myself into one of the situations being discussed in this thread in a big hurry? You betcherass!!

...so Mike... descents are still good... but I haven't taken my mask off in several dives... so who knows? :D

bob

My money says you're still ok with the mask but recent history shows you need to be careful with a scooter especially in caves.

All my scooter experience is in OW and I've never used the same one twice. I've had some real rodeo rides especially on the ride on, custom (aquazep?) that did 0 - 60 in like 4 seconds. LOL

MikeFerrara:
My money says you're still ok with the mask but recent history shows you need to be careful with a scooter especially in caves.

All my scooter experience is in OW and I've never used the same one twice. I've had some real rodeo rides especially on the ride on, custom (aquazep?) that did 0 - 60 in like 4 seconds. LOL

Good point! I hear ya there!! Our planning calls for no further in than we can swim out with available gas should the scooter die.

There are some that have gotten into serious trouble using a scooter, and I take that to heart. For example, when I was first getting into wreck diving, there was an instructor and DM that died inside of a wreck on a trip I was supposed to be on. It had a sober effect on my approach to wreck (and other) diving, so I approach new things conservatively.

So... in a way... a bad incident that occurred to someone else had a lasting impact on my own diving career.

Back
Top Bottom