Bad Back and Sore Knees... What type of Fin is Best????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie K

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Port McNeill, Vancouver Island,BC, Canada
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi..

Im looking for advice on getting fins that will make my underwater life easier. I dive dry.

I have had a bad back for 3years now, diving is one thing that I find helps it. But if I grab the wrong fins... :( I can come up a little sore...

so Im just looking for some options and thoughts...

Thanks KT

( I Realize that this could re-start the whole "split fins" thing..PLEASE DON'T) :)
I also have bad knees, and switched my USD Blades, which I loved, for Scuba Pro twin jets-the black models, as they are stiffer than the grays. I don't know if it was the fins, the different kick style, or a "placebo effect", but the knees have been feeling a lot better since I switched.

Fins which are long and floppy, like Blades, can side load the knee joint and make your knees hurt. Switching to a stubbier fin design would help this.

If you don't have the pain in warm water, then it's caused by the work of pushing too much drag through the water. Switching to a fin design that produces less thrust per kick, like splits, might help.

So try to fgure out what is the real root cause. However, I have always advocated splits as a possible answer for knee problems. ...Realizing you will lose a lot of manuverability by doing so.

All the best, James

Hi..

Im looking for advice on getting fins that will make my underwater life easier. I dive dry.

I have had a bad back for 3years now, diving is one thing that I find helps it. But if I grab the wrong fins... :( I can come up a little sore...

so Im just looking for some options and thoughts...

Thanks KT

For your issue, I would suggest Force Fins.....
The scooter idea wont help, due to the weight in carrying it, and potential for lower back needing to stabilize against the torque introduced bt the scooter in towing you......"maybe" the Pegasus "Thruster', which mounts on your tank, but you would still have extra weight to carry around above the water...

Use a stiff fin and practice primarily kicking from the hips. I have some of the same issues. I tried splits, used them one day and gave them to my son. He loves them, but they did not work for me.

Use a stiff fin and practice primarily kicking from the hips. I have some of the same issues. I tried splits, used them one day and gave them to my son. He loves them, but they did not work for me.

Think about the mechanics of this.... I use a huge long freedive fin ( Dive R) , which you must kick from the hip...mine are also the stiffest composite blades made, as I am a competitive cyclist, and my legs will push more water easily, than most divers would want to try for....the thing is, that as you push more from the hip, your lower back has a large increase in the need to stabilize your core area from this....in contrast, with stubby little Original design force fins, while you do have to kick from the knee, the "gearing" is very low, and there is very little torque on the knee for each kick cycle..yu just have to make a lot more kick cycles per minute.....and for the lower back, it is nice, because it is pushing you straight forward on the hips and waist, so the lower back does not need to stabilize anything to speak of....
Bare feet would be better still, but the speed potential is so low, that it is a foolish choice for a scuba diver. Ideally the OP should find someone who owns some original Force fins, and try kicking them for 10 minutes to half an hour, and see how they effect the knees and back for the next 2 days.....they could also certainly try so hip kicked fins like a very soft freedive fin--the cressi gara 3000 LD is as soft as they get...but my guess is that while they would be easy on the knees, they would strain the lower back to much with it having to stabilize the hip torque.

One of the thngs that could be very bad about split fins, is the poor "tracking" of the knee in the downstroke, due to the wimply double blades not really maintaining a direction that keeps the knee and muscles moving in the healthiest plane possible.... in cycling, a person with a kneee injury can get better by having a shoe/cleat position and seat position that keeps the knee in the healthiest rotation --I am not sure this will make sense to non-cyclists, but it is quite similar....there is an ideal knee motion you want to ensure...anything that has the lower leg swinging left or right out of the ideal tracking, will cause knee pain and inflamation, if not damage....The fin issue should be almost the same regarding the knee....Splits also work pathetically if the user trys to swim sideways to a powerful current--I think the twin blades lose so much of their directionality ( which was already poor), that they work much worse still in this scenario...and this relates again to the concept of the twin blades and poor tracking of the 2 wimpy blades--and what that could do to a kneee that needs to be "locked in" to an ideal movement.

My ankles are shot and my girlfriends knees are a mess from years of sports... we both us force fins and love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom