Backup to integrated computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailordiver11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to configure a backup setup for my Cobra 3 in the event that it fails while on a dive. I'm wondering how other people handle this, do you take a redundant system along? Or just end the dive and have a backup out of the water?
Thanks in advance.

the way most people handle this is simply put a single pressure gauge (providing your regulator has 2 HP ports) and a simple 2nd computer as you have a cobra i would just get a Zoop or gecko as a back up (same make and software compairably) and very cheap to do so
i hope this helps

I don't worry about the pressure per se as if the computer fails, I'm heading up. What it do for a back-up is always dive with a puck style somewhere in a pocket or strapped to my gear so I don't lose my profiles.

The hose connected pressure readings are more dependable than the wireless system, so I would expect that to fail only when the computer fails, most likely from a bad battery. If you're doing just one recreational dive it's not really necessary to have a backup unless there's a chance of going into deco or getting close to it.

If you're doing repetitive diving it's a good idea to have a backup as mentioned by gizmo, then in the event of failure your dives are not interrupted. In this case you do need both parts backed up.

Do you know what the probability of the Cobra 3 failing during a dive is?

Well, neither do I, but I think it's rather slim pickin'.

Similar but not exactly what gizmo said, my wife uses a Cobra 3 and a Zoop as a backup. She takes the Zoop on every dive. If the Cobra 3 were to fail, she would immediately ascend, and then on the SI switch out the Cobra 3 hose for a hose with a small SPG on the end, and resume diving using the Zoop. She sees no reason to keep the SPG and hose attached so long as the Cobra 3 is working fine--it would just add clutter in view of the low likelihood of failure.

I don't use an AI computer.

Last edited:
the way most people handle this is simply put a single pressure gauge (providing your regulator has 2 HP ports) and a simple 2nd computer as you have a cobra i would just get a Zoop or gecko as a back up (same make and software compairably) and very cheap to do so
i hope this helps

I always wonder whether the same deco model or a radically different one is better to use.

I don't dive with a 'backup', rather two different computers on the same wrist. It's interesting to see what they both are saying.

I always wonder whether the same deco model or a radically different one is better to use.

Using the same model is always preferable, otherwise you may end up in a situation where one computer says you have time to stay, and the other is saying you have to go up. Realistically speaking, in that instance, you should always follow the more conservative computer. That said, it's nice to not have to make that decision, and just have both computers telling you the same thing. I have an oceanic air integrated console computer, and I wear an oceanic non air integrated computer on my wrist. If one or the other goes bad, they should have very similar profiles and should both have the same idea about how I should spend the rest of my dive trip. It's also nice that if I am glancing at my wrist to check my times, I don't end up surprised when I check my console and see something entirely different. Of course, if you are not bumping up against your NDLs, it shouldn't matter much.

in my experience i see alot of people use multiple dive computers weather it is on the same wrist or in a pocket or clipped on the kit
then go with whichever one favors what the diver thinks is best !!!the best is when the suunto is locked out bent and the uwatec is still going strong!
then lie to boat crew about it or down to switching computers for a clean one
GUYS PLEASE if the suunto is bent it didnt do it on itself & its the computer you bought! dont like that then just use the uwatec ITS NO BIG DEAL
which one you have but at least try to have the same manufacture or as our training goes (recreational diving) YOU go with the most conservative display !! also IF you use air intergration great but please 1 hose with a small SPG clipped in tight to your bcd is not going to KILL you ! i understand points of failure but really !!!! it should be seen as BASIC kit and the transmitter as the additional kit imho

---------- Post added August 11th, 2013 at 06:36 AM ----------

the differences between 2 computer manufactures can be a large amount!!!!!!!
and people do not expect the amount of differences that they see
the next argument is well why do they do that ????
then tell the dive guide who explains it that he is lie ing to them lol (this happens ALOT!)
and how stupid there computer is (you bought it!!!)

Realistically speaking, in that instance, you should always follow the more conservative computer. That said, it's nice to not have to make that decision, and just have both computers telling you the same thing.

This is exactly what I was taught. If you have 2 different systems you follow the most conservative. I say systems because, it could be 2 computers, or a computer and tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom