Backup timer (wristwatch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love my BT, but I wish it had a clock. So I bungeed up an old Casio digital watch this afternoon. It says it's "water resistant" up to 50m, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it imploded at 50ft. Can you generally trust the depth rating on your wristwatch backups?

I have a cheap digital watch (Casio) on a bungie that I'lll add onto the wrist for the times when I need to know the time of day (reef check surveys or watching the closing time at Lobos).

It hasn't flooded yet and It's been under about 20-30 times in 2 years... still ticking. I say go for it.

Actually most watch makers depth rating are on the conservative side, as long as they are the real deal. Even some of the knock off form singapore and mayalasia will go down to 50 meters. It is all about how the well casio was treated. If it was maintain well it should be find. if you can easily open it up, check to o-ring. if it is intact of it is worn, change it and it will meet the depth rating advertised.

Thanks all.

As cheap as it is, I'd just as well leave it at home for the 1-2 times a year I actually wear it if it were guaranteed to bust at depth. I think I'll take the "50M" claim to task and give it a test run.

you cant kill those casio watchs,never had a problem with them diving or otherwise,I did flood a timex but I think that was due to a Walmart battery swap job.

Just make sure you don't press any buttons underwater if you take one of those watches under, apparently some of the ratings don't account for you pressing them underwater.

I and a few buddies use the Timex Ironman (older version with 2 front buttons). Been on every dive with me for going on 4 years. The buttons get pushed underwater for the stopwatch function and I've never had a leak. Still on the original battery.

My experience is that the timex eventually leak if you push buttons but I have not used one in a decade. The 200m casio G shocks you can go buy for $40 are bulletproof and really the best choice. 50m watches are crap shoots. I use a D3 I received as a present which works since my bottom timer has a resettable stopwatch and a clock I can view anyway and is easier to read. If I didn't have that feature on my primary gauge I would still use the G shock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom