Backup timer (wristwatch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a Suunto D3 freediving watch, has a seconds timer with a resettable chronograph, great logging abilities, temperature, and a MOD calculator. Suunto sells an optional neoprene band that (barely) fits over my drysuit for it.

Rob

I can't agree with this because it can be done and we do this all the times without timer with seconds.

Not saying it can't be done... (who was it that counted out hours of deco in his head because of a timer failure? Exley?) but since I'm all for substituting equipment for skill, I'll go with having the seconds granularity :D.

FWIW, in our class, there was at least one drill that (I believe) was designed to get us moving quickly and efficiently on an ascent with an abnormally truncated time schedule. I believe the point of it was to emphasize that dicking around instead of moving toward the surface and being sloppy on stops adds up. It was really helpful having seconds granularity here. Perhaps if one had a better jedi-like grasp of time at that granularity, it wouldn't be as important, but I'm just not that good a diver. :D

Can't see a reasonable reason to be opposed to this, although I suppose if one really cares that much, an alternative solution would be to get one BT that displays seconds (which is what I do now).

To get back to the OP's question.... Here is a translation chart that Clinton sent me when I asked a similar question some time back:

Water Resistant - Splash proof but not much else
50m - Dunkable but you don't want to dive with it.
100m - Don't press the buttons underwater
200m - Actually usable as a dive watch.

Clearly you are a superior diver to me and my T1 teammates. Thank you for adding so much useful content to this thread.
No need for beeing sarcastic. Let's leave usefulness of one's contribution outside of this thread. I'm just wandering since when GUE instructors strongly recommend (your words) having seconds at bottom timer. During T1 we were recommended to use BT for verifying time and depth but not for staring at it.

To get back to the OP's question.... Here is a translation chart that Clinton sent me when I asked a similar question some time back:

Water Resistant - Splash proof but not much else
50m - Dunkable but you don't want to dive with it.
100m - Don't press the buttons underwater
200m - Actually usable as a dive watch.

Yes.

Watches are pressure tested in a pressure jar. Hydrostatic pressure pushing equally on all sides in a sealed, perfectly still container. Wearing it on your wrist while swimming through the moving water is not the same, not by a long shot.

Spend the paltry $40 (less if you actually try) and get a proper 200m watch, unless you really don't care if you kill the watch. But why add to the landfill?

Well, FWIW I fail to see the need of seconds but for exercise.
To stay in sync with your buddies I think is batter to look at them instead to the watch, am I wrong?
And if collectively the team misshapes, the error is in the minute range, which I really do not think is mattering at all on a well executed deco

In training, to get the hang of what is like doing 30"+30" ascents etc it is useful, and I'm happy that my M1, used as BT, has them.
But it's just a collateral icing on the cake, not that important

No need for beeing sarcastic. Let's leave usefulness of one's contribution outside of this thread. I'm just wandering since when GUE instructors strongly recommend (your words) having seconds at bottom timer. During T1 we were recommended to use BT for verifying time and depth but not for staring at it.

My GUEf instructor recommended seconds on the BT largely for doing sliding safety stops, it can help out especially when task loaded.. the resettable chrono is also very nice. Whats wrong with having the ability to time seconds?

Rob

My GUEf instructor recommended seconds on the BT largely for doing sliding safety stops, it can help out especially when task loaded.. the resettable chrono is also very nice. Whats wrong with having the ability to time seconds?

Rob
Nothing's wrong. Naram explained it in post above yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom