Backup timer (wristwatch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ruined two "running" watches diving- both were rated to 50M. (I had them to a max of 80 fsw). The first I tried to time my dive, and pressed the button- but the other I didn't and it still failed after about 3 dives. I'd just invest the $$ in a bottom timer or a cheap dive computer.

i have an old timex ironman that does every dive with me ... i've had it for over a year ... and when i found it it was on the bottom of a lake ... its worked great and i see no reason to spend money on something different.... i can find more things to spend my money on :wink:

I've been using an Armitron I bought at CVS for the last 4 years. It has BIG digits that these old eyes appreciate, but is still compact. I paid something like $20 and it's still ticking along.

50m rating does not mean it is good to 50m.

From a google search:
Water resistant: Protected against rain and accidental water splashes.
3 bar/30 m: Brief immersion in water, not suitable for swimming.
5 bar/50 m: OK for shallow swimming, car washing.
10 bar/100 m: OK for snorkling.
20 bar/200 m: Diving with regular air tubes.

Rob and I both have Ironmans too (the Timex that is "good to 200m"). We used them for a while (including during T1, because our computers at the time didn't do seconds) and never had any problems, with button pushes and everything. They are also very easy to read underwater. We have since upgraded to computers with seconds.

Before those, we each had the next step down Timex watch (good to 100m). Rob's eventually flooded (after about a year, and I think there was button pushing involved). I pushed the buttons on my 100m watch without any problems, but since it is a girl watch (it's the watch I wear in general on land) and smaller, the numbers were a bit small for me. So I upgraded to the manly 200m one for readability.

If you are just using it as a backup to your dive computer, to provide seconds, time of day, etc., then I would just get an ironman. It probably won't flood, and if it does, you aren't going to die because of it :p Just remember, even though the girly pink ones look cool, they are harder to read in the water!

i have an old timex ironman that does every dive with me ... i've had it for over a year ... and when i found it it was on the bottom of a lake ... its worked great and i see no reason to spend money on something different.... i can find more things to spend my money on :wink:

We used them for a while (including during T1, because our computers at the time didn't do seconds) and never had any problems, with button pushes and everything. They are also very easy to read underwater. We have since upgraded to computers with seconds.
I hate to hijack the thread but above sentences give the impression that there's a requirement for having seconds at bottom timer for T1 class. Generaly, having seconds at bottom timer is overkill.

I hate to hijack the thread but above sentences give the impression that there's a requirement for having seconds at bottom timer for T1 class. Generaly, having seconds at bottom timer is overkill.

Mhh, in actual dives yes.
But in training i feel seconds are useful to help get the "feeling" of the ascent, IMHO.

On topic, I like the citizen promaster also when dry, so that's my choice. But you normally do not need a backup, you have your buddy ...

Thank you for the advice, but I don't think my Tech 1 instructors agreed. There is not, as I understood, a "requirement", but my T1 instructor told me before the class that he strongly recommended it. It makes it easier to time your stops, and keep everyone moving at the same rate, if everyone has seconds. For instance, the 30 ft/min ascent from the bottom... if everyone tries to move 10 feet every 20 seconds, it is easy to keep everyone together at the proper ascent rate. Hard to do without a seconds timer.

It may not be necessary, but I don't see how it is "overkill" unless all those extra numbers confuse you.

Uh oh...cue the "seconds/no seconds" debate :)

There is not, as I understood, a "requirement", but my T1 instructor told me before the class that he strongly recommended it.
It's first time I've ever heard for such recommendation. Others?

It makes it easier to time your stops, and keep everyone moving at the same rate, if everyone has seconds. For instance, the 30 ft/min ascent from the bottom... if everyone tries to move 10 feet every 20 seconds, it is easy to keep everyone together at the proper ascent rate. Hard to do without a seconds timer.
I can't agree with this because it can be done and we do this all the times without timer with seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom