• On my left wrist, so I have one on each wrist

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • In my pocket

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Does not apply, I use tables or use tables for backup

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not really a stretch at all. And while I'm not a cave diver, watching where your beam goes is pretty standard courtesy for anyone using an extremely bright can light. Same reason why some people rig a bungee loop around the cable behind the lighthead in addition to the bolt snap on the Goldman handle. It gives you the option of clipping off a light that is switched on so that it will hang down at the floor, if you need two hands but don't want to blind someone.

It has nothing to do with inches (lateral motion), it has to do with angles. Try it right now and you will see. Can light is on top of your left hand, pointing forward into the darkness of the cave or the wreck. Now turn your hand like you are checking your watch and see where the light is pointing. That 3500 lumen light cannon has now turned almost 180 degrees and is pointing straight over your right shoulder. Where there might very well be another diver.

OK, I'm confused (though that's certainly normal enough). With the reel and light both in my left hand as usual, I can rotate my forearm in place along the axis of the light beam so the light stays pointed approximately where it was. I don't need to bring the light across my body to read the computer, though I do have to look to the left. Try it. Point your arm in the direction you would normally point a light, and rotate it as if you are turning a key while you look to the left. You can't see the top of your wrist? No? Then rotate it the other way! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) ;-)

This does require a continuously illuminated computer, of course.

(Great to meet you at BTS, by the way.)

OK, I'm confused (though that's certainly normal enough). With the reel and light both in my left hand as usual, I can rotate my forearm in place along the axis of the light beam so the light stays pointed approximately where it was. I don't need to bring the light across my body to read the computer, though I do have to look to the left. Try it. Point your arm in the direction you would normally point a light, and rotate it as if you are turning a key while you look to the left. You can't see the top of your wrist? No? Then rotate it the other way! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) ;-)

This does require a continuously illuminated computer, of course.

(Great to meet you at BTS, by the way.)

Yup! BTS was a blast... great meeting you too.. :)

I guess it's a minor point, and you can certainly move your head so that you can see the screen pretty well without turning your arm. I just meant that the natural motion when checking a watch (or a dive computer) on the left side for most people is to flex the elbow and rotate the wrist. And I think that was what Ron was saying. I thought that when you responded to him, you were thinking of the problem of using your dive light to illuminate your computer if it doesn't have an illuminated screen.

Of course, the BEST place for data is in front of your mask, which is why I love my NERD! Especially fun when using the compass. But I can't imagine using one on an OC regulator, which is a market that Shearwater is going after with the NERD2. That just seems wrong to me.

Yeah primary donate and a NERD2 seem to be at odds with each other.

I wear my Perdix on my right wrist. On CCR my controller is on the left and the SW is backup. On OC dives the SW is primary and I wear either a Nitek Q or an M28 on the left wrist.

Yeah primary donate and a NERD2 seem to be at odds with each other.

Not just that, but what OC diver needs to watch their deco information like we watch our PPO2?

I guess the compass thing is nice, but I can’t imagine the stability of clamping that thing to a small LP hose or the second stage itself. Much different from a loop which is supported by hoses on both sides.

@doctormike can you not bend your wrist so the light looks "down" when you check your wrist?

Oy. I really opened up a can of worms here, didn't I? :D

Yes, it is totally possible to see your computer on your left wrist without blinding someone. I was just trying to explain what I thought Ron was saying, since it seemed that this was being confused with the issue of an unilluminated DC display that you needed to shine a light on to read.

The natural motion that most people do when looking at their watch is to flex their elbow and pronate their wrist, but I also completely agree that it is possible to see your DC without doing that, or without moving your hand at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom