• On my left wrist, so I have one on each wrist

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • In my pocket

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Does not apply, I use tables or use tables for backup

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the rare occasions I've actually bothered to use a backup computer it's in my drysuit pocket.

R..

Primary on the left and backup on the right

OC I have the primary on my right, CCR on the left or the cable gets in the way of the buttons. I tried it on the right for a bit but gave up quite quickly.

Ergonomics and software people etc...

Primary on the right, secondary on the left.

Primary (Petral) is on my left (It's a camera thing... right hand is always gripping camera so to look at computer, means maneuvering a beast of a camera), bottom timer on right.

With the computer on the left, how do you keep from waving your primary light around when you need to look at it?

With the computer on the left, how do you keep from waving your primary light around when you need to look at it?
Not an issue if the computer has an illuminated screen, like a Shearwater.

Not an issue if the computer has an illuminated screen, like a Shearwater.

I think that Ron meant that if you are holding your can lighthead on your left hand with a Goodman handle (as you typically do), when you turn your wrist to look at the screen, you are going to be blinding someone. Not as much of an issue on OC, since you mainly look at your computer on ascent, when your light is likely to be clipped off.

I think that Ron meant that if you are holding your can lighthead on your left hand with a Goodman handle (as you typically do), when you turn your wrist to look at the screen, you are going to be blinding someone. Not as much of an issue on OC, since you mainly look at your computer on ascent, when your light is likely to be clipped off.
Is that a real thing? People being blinded because you move your arm a few inches to look at the computer? That seems like a bit of a stretch...

To me the right arm is just practical because I can see it when doing buoyancy stuff. Before illuminated screens it needed to be on the right so you could light it up with your left hand when riding a scooter. But the buoyancy thing is the biggest driver in my mind.

Is that a real thing? People being blinded because you move your arm a few inches to look at the computer? That seems like a bit of a stretch...

It's not really a stretch at all. And while I'm not a cave diver, watching where your beam goes is pretty standard courtesy for anyone using an extremely bright can light. Same reason why some people rig a bungee loop around the cable behind the lighthead in addition to the bolt snap on the Goldman handle. It gives you the option of clipping off a light that is switched on so that it will hang down at the floor, if you need two hands but don't want to blind someone.

It has nothing to do with inches (lateral motion), it has to do with angles. Try it right now and you will see. Can light is on top of your left hand, pointing forward into the darkness of the cave or the wreck. Now turn your hand like you are checking your watch and see where the light is pointing. That 3500 lumen light cannon has now turned almost 180 degrees and is pointing straight over your right shoulder. Where there might very well be another diver.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom