Backplate/Wing Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trianii

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

Newly certified (today)...yay! My boyfriend has been doing a lot of research and is leaning towards bp/w...actually he already bought one without even trying it yet...haha. I'll be renting one on my trip to Catalina in a few weeks, but was wondering if there's any instructors willing to spend an hour or so with me using one? (or if anyone knows a particular dive shop off the top of their head that will? mine doesnt carry bp/w.) I'll need to borrow or rent because I can't use my BF's. My schedule and time line are somewhat limited ....(Catalina 3/23, and work is a little nuts) so I'm talking the next week or so.

Short notice, but thought I'd throw it out if anyone has any ideas....

Not sure what you want an instructor to tell you, functionally it's a BC and probably doesn't work any differently than the BC you used today.

I dont' know any dive shops that rent BP/Ws in the area.

You might want to PM Dive-aholic (Rob) I know he and his wife, both instructors, will be at the lake in the next week or so they dive w/ BP/Ws.

-Garrett

If you can make it out during the week, we'll be at the lake on the afternoon of the 14th doing some practice dives, including a video session where we'll be in other gear. You're welcome to come out and do a dive with one of our rigs. Just bring a tank.

And if Rob isn't available, I'm available during the week and would be happy to let you try my BP/wing. Not an instructor; just a convert.

You guys are awesome...the 14th is full for me, bummer! But I may take you up on it AzAtty....

In terms of who carries BP/Wings, El Mar (Mesa--claim they can get about anything, but I've never put them to the test on that) carries OMS; Ocean Planet (Tempe) carries Dive Rite (though it has been a while since I've been in their shop, so I have no idea what their current selection is); and Scuba Sciences carries Halcyon and Deep Outdoors (downtown and Metro Center area in Phoenix). Plus there are several online vendors who carry BP/Wings.

shark.byte.usa:
Scuba Specialties in NW Phoenix carries that swedish(?) brand, I can't come up with the manufacturer name right now.

But I think she was asking where to rent, for that I have no idea.

-Garrett

Agir. And Golem... I suppose. (We are a Salvo dealer)

And... OMS

And... Apeks.. if you're interested in that sorta thing. :shakehead

Oh... no BP/wings to rent... but guys lend out their stuff from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom