Backfinning and fins...are some better than ohters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudguppy

Reaction score
One of the instructors that I dove with in Malaysia did some great frogkicking and backfinning. I naturally do mainly frogkicking for my main kick. Since I have seen him do backfinning, I have been practicing trying to backfin myself. I have a set of Aqualung Blades ll that I dive with and find it very difficult to do.

I understand that Jet Fins might be the way to go. Any opinions if a different fin would work better for me? or maybe it is just I have some bad technique :eek:

Is there just one kind of Jet Fins, or are there different brands....or maybe that is the brand :)

Would love some information to help me out.
Thanks ahead.
Mudguppy

:confined: :tree:

It can be done but you really have to get the blade flat on the in stroke and rotate your ankles to get a wide stance on the out. They are just too long and flexible to get an efficient stroke. The shorter SP Jets are a lot easier to control. If you get the chance to try a pair you will be surprised how much easier the maneuver is.

Hallmac

It sounds like I could work on it a little more.
There will be a Jet Fin purchase in the near future, tho :wink:

SP...I'm assuming that is Scuba Pro. And doesn't DIR use the SP Jet Fins? I feel a DIR-F class coming on :)

Appreciate the input

MG

mudguppy once bubbled...

SP...I'm assuming that is Scuba Pro. And doesn't DIR use the SP Jet Fins? I feel a DIR-F class coming on :)

MG

Jet Fins (Scubapro), Turtles and IDI are all basically the same except for foot pocket size.

MD

which one would be best for narrow feet?

mg

Probably the Scubapro for narrower feet. Turtles have a larger foot pocket. I had to go with the Turtles because my drysuit boots are just a wee bit large for the Jetfins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom