Back or Spinal Surgery and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UrbanJungle1966

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am posting this mainly for my wife who I would love to be able to come diving with me but on reading the PADI Divers Medical Questionnaire it makes me wonder if it is even possible for her or more importantly a safe thing for her to do.

All other questions answer no. She is in perfect physical health other than her damn back. Thinking of my OW training I can't see any reason for her not to dive other than there is no way she would be able to walk around carrying a full set of gear. We normally go to Indonesia twice a year so have the services of porters. So getting her into the water and having a porter or myself help her with her BCD/Tank and weights is something I can see would be possible.

For me being under the water is a complete freedom thing. Weightless and free to go in any direction, low physical effort other than when you get a strong current but that is all leg work which she would be fine with. Also as a point before my question is asked she likes snorkeling so to me the next level for her is to kit up and come down to where I am.

So the question is what is it about spinal surgery that could stop her from diving?

It sounds as though the surgery is remote, right? (In other words, it was done some time ago, and all the convalescent issues are over.) There is nothing about spinal surgery, per se, that should affect diving.

Persistent back PROBLEMS are another thing altogether. If you cannot lift your gear (with reasonable assistance) or walk while wearing it, you can't get through a standard certification class. But being certified through Handicapped Scuba (HSA) is an option.

I am posting this mainly for my wife who I would love to be able to come diving with me but on reading the PADI Divers Medical Questionnaire it makes me wonder if it is even possible for her or more importantly a safe thing for her to do. . . . All other questions answer no. She is in perfect physical health other than her damn back. Thinking of my OW training I can't see any reason for her not to dive other than there is no way she would be able to walk around carrying a full set of gear. . . . So the question is what is it about spinal surgery that could stop her from diving?
A history of spinal surgery, per se, does not exclude an individual from diving / learning to dive. Rather, it requires that a physician verify that it is a reasonably safe pursuit for the individual, based on an assessment of the possible risk of injury to the spine / nerves associated with using scuba equipment. As an example, I had a laminectomy as a relatively young man - almost 20 years before I started diving. I have no residual back issues - I lift weights, carry heavy objects at times, wear double steel cylinders on land and boats (and climb ladders with them). I still have to get a physician signature on a medical form each time I take a 'wet' PADI course but it is a perfunctory process.
TSandM:
f you cannot lift your gear (with reasonable assistance) or walk while wearing it, you can't get through a standard certification class. But being certified through Handicapped Scuba (HSA) is an option.
I think this is the key point. By necessity, a diver will, at times, need to be able to stand while wearing a scuba rig. If doing so causes pain / extreme discomfort, she may have a challenge with the standard certification process.

I had spinal surgery 6 years ago. Like everyone who suffers from back issues and those who have under gone surgery, you must spend a lot of time in physical therapy building and strengthening the core muscles surrounding the back. It must be part of an ongoing program if one wishes to regain their former vigor. I have little problem walking up a boat's stairs in double HP130's although it is not something which should be repeated too often IMO...

Greetings Urban I have a ruptured L5 as well as C5 / C6 issues in my neck.
I have found that time in the water is the best therapy of any I have had to date.
Now listen to me very carefully out of water one needs to be very careful lifting and TWISTING!
It is the little twists that hurt the worst.

My buddy Barries has every disc but the last one fused in her back!
She has switched to SM now instead of mack mounted bobbles which is tons more comfortable.
My point is that it is possible but be careful and progress slowly to discover what is pain free and what is not!
As your wife will attest somedays it just doesn't work pain is inevitable!
Mine are when rapid barometer changes I can feel the weather coming!

If she is willing and desires to learn to dive by all means get her into the water.
Start out as low of impact then let her decide what she can handle.
Do not push her, back / neck pain can be unbearable with days or weeks of recovery.
Please heed these words diving for me is the greatest therapy I have found yet give it a go!

CamG

mack mounted bobbles

Fun with auto-correct?

I've got a congenital defect in my spinal column from c2-c6 where there is not the normal "space" around the cord. I'm probably describing it wrong since I'm the patient and not the doc. I slipped one of the discs, and it pinched my cord pretty bad resulting in a trip to the hospital. I then had a cervical discectomy and fusion on 12/30/2009 (C2-3 and C3-4). Went to the surgeon to ask about diving before I took the class. What he told me is there is increased risk of compression of the cord with the increased pressures in diving. He said that the risk wasn't so severe in my case that he would exclude me, and he signed the paperwork for me to dive. He did inform me that there was an increased risk though.

So, as I understand it the risk is due to the increased pressure from the depth putting pressure on the spinal cord.. or that is what the risk is for me.

Also, back problems tend to mean pain and pain medicine. If she's taking anything for it, the meds could be a problem.

I'd recommend asking a spinal doc about it.

4363217704_d6b80b068e_m.jpg

With all due respect to the surgeon, there is no significant risk of cord compression at depth. The body tissues are mostly water and are not affected by the pressure per se. The bigger problem in the body are the air spaces like lungs and sinuses. At standard recreational depths there is no risk if getting squished by the pressure of 130 ft water column.

kelemvor, freewillie is right. There is no cord compression from depth. There MAY be a problem with the neck position that's required for diving, though, depending on what your surgeon did, and what the rest of your cervical spine anatomy looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom