Back mount, side mount, wing, bcd, split fins, non split fins, lions tigers and bears, Oh My!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the old saying goes, ask 10 divers (or any other hobbyist) what the best ________ is and you'll get 11 different answers.

At the dive site I don't usually give my opinion on things unless asked, but I do often find myself listening to the opinions of others and seeing how they prefer to do things. Even if I don't agree with it, I like hearing different perspectives.

Last edited:
If all you own is a hammer: the world becomes a nail. I don't sidemount on the reefs here in Key Largo, and I don't like backmount in caves!
I am a firm believer in the saying "horses for courses" - try to look at things without any bias and try to figure out what is best for the actual situation you are preparing for.

Looking at it from that viewpoint:
Sidemount - great for restrictions or for people with back or strength issues. Not the best for a lot of shore entries or boat diving.
Backmount - great for shore entries & boats but not so great for situations where there may be restrictions.

Attempting to force one system to fit the other systems strengths will always be a compromise.

Ditto for split fins. Despite what some would have you believe they do work for some people by way of minimising physical problems such as leg joint issues.

Nah on second thoughts, if you don't dive wearing exactly my gear choice - you will die (probably in a good few years time due to something completely unrelated though!):rofl3:

Everyone seems to agree... with the fact that there is no one gear set up that covers all.

I have a local shop, that unless it is in stock, don't bother. They will say they will order one, and 6 months later - still not ordered. There are other shops that will be realistic with you about ordering stuff.

Some shops only push what they sell, whereas some try to figure out what you need.

My jacket BCD fits nicely in my bag for flying, and I know it well.
My split fins are easy on my joints, and that is a good thing.
I prefer steel tanks.
If I decide to do more cavern diving, I will most definitely learn the side mount stuff.

I recently did a cavern course. I learned a lot from it, but the one thing it helped me understand is -

There is a reason for the different set ups and types of gear.

I find it funny that there are arguments on what you should get. Each set up is geared towards a certain type of diving.

So, when someone asks what gear is the best, they first must tell us what they do, as that will tel us which direction to point them in.
Yes, seems simple doesn't it? But your OP may eliminate a whole lot on SB........Then I'd be watching even more TV.

Yes, seems simple doesn't it? But your OP may eliminate a whole lot on SB........Then I'd be watching even more TV.

It might stop the arguing slightly. Why not tell me WHY split fins, or jacket BCDs are bad. And at the same time, tell me What they are GOOD for.

Why not tell me WHY split fins,... are bad.
They don't give me control. They collapse under heavy kicking (like towing a diver). They don't frog kick well.

Why not tell me WHY... jacket BCDs are bad.
Back inflates are easier for most divers, myself included, to stay horizontal in the water.

Both of these are good for divers who like them! :D Since I don't dive them, I really can't say what else they might be good for. I hope this helps. :D :D :D

GUE people don't agree with that. :) Use the same gear setup for nearly everything!

That's not what I took away from my GUE training, nor the hundreds of dives I've done with GUE trained divers. Yes, they are into a standardized approach to diving, and that includes gear choices. But at the same time they believe that you should use the right tool for the job, which is why on some dives you will see GUE trained divers in sidemount or CCR.

Standardization does not necessarily mean use the same gear setup for nearly everything. It actually boils down to a philosophy of predictable behavior between team members ... and keep in mind that the backbone of GUE philosophy is the team, and not the equipment or the individual diver. This is the fundamental difference between GUE and almost every other training agency. The latter till tell you that you should dive with a buddy, but the former will actually give you the tools for knowing how to do that in a predictable manner.

The essence of the GUE approach to diving is less about the gear than it is about the approach ... the gear is simply a means to an end. And their gear choices are what they decided were optimal after considering all the benefits and drawbacks of the available choices.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My jacket BCD fits nicely in my bag for flying, and I know it well.
I would think jsut about all manner of BCDs fit in bags nicely for travel, and knowing it well is a function of experience, not the gear.

As I said, I cannot think of a dive circumstance that a jacket BCD (with the around-the-body bladder) and a traditional regulator setup with the alternate in the golden triangle would be the best equipment for the job. I am told that BCDs of that kind are more comfortable for floating upright on the surface, and I suppose if you have no intention of submerging, that would make it the best one for that dive.

Last edited:
It might stop the arguing slightly. Why not tell me WHY split fins, or jacket BCDs are bad. And at the same time, tell me What they are GOOD for.

split fins have no real scientific founding in terms of being more efficient than paddle fins, are not as maneuverable as paddle fins and are very expensive. If you are just snorkeling around, are out of shape, and just want to meander around while flutter kicking then they're good enough. In scuba where you have to move around a bunch of gear that is about as hydrodynamic as a parachute, then they don't offer any power to move you anywhere and you are kicking more often *albeit with less effort* than someone who has paddle fins. You also struggle going backwards, turning around, and doing any sort of anti-silting kicks. Important when on delicate reefs contrary to most scuba instruction. Can you back up in them? yes, but I can also backup barefooted in doubles, so anything that makes my foot bigger is going to assist in that, but it takes a lot more kick cycles to move around than it does in a paddle fin.
I used split fins for about 2 weeks after I fully lacerated my calf because my calf muscle was stitched together and I needed to teach with something on my feet. I didn't have access to less stiff paddle fins, and I borrowed some split fins.

Jacket bc's are less than ideal for a myriad of reasons.
For rental fleets it means you have to have a bunch of different sized bc's for the customers/students than you would if you had a rig that was adjustable which increases your overhead cost.
They are non-modular so if a component breaks, you basically have to throw it out and start over. The lift capacity is determined by the size of the jacket, not the lift requirements.
This is particularly problematic for smaller people diving in colder water where they need more lift due to wetsuit compression and/or tank size.
They are surprisingly expensive as compared to either bp/w's or some of the back inflates. Dive Rite Hunterpac is my favorite of the back inflates and is $400, Deep Sea Supply is probably the best BP/W out there and is $500, while a Scubapro Classic is almost $800 and is a 20+yr old design....
Vast majority don't have provisions for a crotch strap. Two problems, one is ability to use a DPV which isn't really a big concern, but it's there. I've had some people at quarries ogling over my DPV and will let them take them for a spin if they have a crotch strap, but the ones that are in jackets are SoL. The bigger one is overall comfort of the rig. The crotch strap allows you to have a tight waist strap but loose shoulders which keeps the rig from moving around, particularly at the surface where you "sit" on the crotch strap similar to a climbing harness and chill out. Without a crotch strap, you have to cinch the shoulder straps to keep it from moving around and that can be uncomfortable for people when they feel restrictive.
I know of at least one instructor that has had a student with anxiety problems and the "squeeze" from the jacket helped to alleviate her anxiety which is about the only pro for that design that I can think of and is most certainly an exception to the rule. Most everyone else I know of much prefers the freedom of the harness system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom