Back in the Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They gave me attitude from the moment I walked into the hospital. I went up to the ER desk and said that I was a diver and I'm pretty sure I just took a DCS hit. Right away, some girl told the staff I'm the guy that often dives alone at the wreck next to the hospital. She said, "See what happens when you dive alone." My reply was patient. I just said that solo diving is now allowed and I'm certified to solo dive and teach solo diving. I had been on my own emergency O2, but got off my bottle in the parking lot figuring they'd stick me on oxygen immediately. My bad. They had me wait out a chest X-ray without it. Then, they would only use a nasal cannula. I told them that was inadequate and that I needed a mask that would deliver O2 as close to 100% as possible without mixing with air. I asked them to call DAN. Silence. Bob Sherwood, GUE instructor came into the ER and the first thing he said was, "You're for sure bent and that nasal cannula isn't helping." We both tried to get them to provide correct care and to please call DAN. In hindsight, we should have phoned DAN and told them my P.A. is not listening to two scuba instructors of how to render first aid for DCS.
sounds like they didnt appreciate a mere civilian telling us experts a diagnosis -certainly destroys the image of professionals seeking the best treatment for their patients

Good day Sir, super glad you're back. We never met and I was just getting into diving when you got hit.

Between your posts, your website, and your emails from back then you really changed my attitude towards diving. I wanted to be a "GUE heavily decorated navy seal team 6" type of a diver. In your email you told me to stop and have fun. It said if I'm not having fun then what's the point? That's really stuck with me.

Anyway, my kids don't know it, but they really owe you a huge thanks (as do I) . I'm way more of a "fun" diver than I ever would have been before your email. It really opened my eyes and made me think. They're all certified and that's all we do is have fun. So huge thanks to you and your insightful words.

At some point I feel like your avatar needs a picture of you with a parrot and maybe a pirate hat? Is it too soon?

Good day Sir, super glad you're back. We never met and I was just getting into diving when you got hit.

Between your posts, your website, and your emails from back then you really changed my attitude towards diving. I wanted to be a "GUE heavily decorated navy seal team 6" type of a diver. In your email you told me to stop and have fun. It said if I'm not having fun then what's the point? That's really stuck with me.

Anyway, my kids don't know it, but they really owe you a huge thanks (as do I) . I'm way more of a "fun" diver than I ever would have been before your email. It really opened my eyes and made me think. They're all certified and that's all we do is have fun. So huge thanks to you and your insightful words.

At some point I feel like your avatar needs a picture of you with a parrot and maybe a pirate hat? Is it too soon?
That's quite a compliment. I just met a runner the other day who told me that running has become a job for him at age 54. He started doing marathons and now he's wrapped up in that culture of training for race after race. I just got back from a run where I did a fast mile around my old high school track. I listened to some of the "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" soundtrack and I had fun and feel great. Someone dangled a carrot and everyone had to chase it across the Greek peninsula. There's nothing wrong with being GUE or a SEAL if you do them for the right reasons. Stroking an ego is often the wrong reason. GUE training opens up an amazing world of diving, but you have to choose the instructor carefully because they can create a culture around them that makes their students less fun to be around.

That's quite a compliment. I just met a runner the other day who told me that running has become a job for him at age 54. He started doing marathons and now he's wrapped up in that culture of training for race after race. I just got back from a run where I did a fast mile around my old high school track. I listened to some of the "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" soundtrack and I had fun and feel great. Someone dangled a carrot and everyone had to chase it across the Greek peninsula. There's nothing wrong with being GUE or a SEAL if you do them for the right reasons. Stroking an ego is often the wrong reason. GUE training opens up an amazing world of diving, but you have to choose the instructor carefully because they can create a culture around them that makes their students less fun to be around.

Nothing against GUE, it sounds amazing and maybe I'll get there one day. For me though I decided to spend the money on my 4 kids, getting them certified and enjoying diving with them. GUE and caves can wait.. I 100% guarantee my kids goofing off upside down or riding on each others backs or trying to push each other below the thermocline is way for fun than any hard core class... and that stuff will be there when I'm ready.

I'm in my later 30's, I'm just taking my time enjoying the journey. It's not a race, I hope it never turns into that for me.

They gave me attitude from the moment I walked into the hospital. I went up to the ER desk and said that I was a diver and I'm pretty sure I just took a DCS hit. Right away, some girl told the staff I'm the guy that often dives alone at the wreck next to the hospital. She said, "See what happens when you dive alone." My reply was patient. I just said that solo diving is now allowed and I'm certified to solo dive and teach solo diving. I had been on my own emergency O2, but got off my bottle in the parking lot figuring they'd stick me on oxygen immediately. My bad. They had me wait out a chest X-ray without it. Then, they would only use a nasal cannula. I told them that was inadequate and that I needed a mask that would deliver O2 as close to 100% as possible without mixing with air. I asked them to call DAN. Silence. Bob Sherwood, GUE instructor came into the ER and the first thing he said was, "You're for sure bent and that nasal cannula isn't helping." We both tried to get them to provide correct care and to please call DAN. In hindsight, we should have phoned DAN and told them my P.A. is not listening to two scuba instructors of how to render first aid for
I hope you took legal action after this type of negligence on their part.

I hope you took legal action after this type of negligence on their part.
Lawyers in NY were worse than P.A.'s. Not one firm would take the case. I thought it was open and shut.

GRRRRR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom