Back in the Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On October 2, 2018, I was bent right outside River Hospital in Alexandria Bay, New York, while diving the wreck of the Islander and Broadway Shoal. The day prior, I had been teaching advanced trimix on the Roy A. Jodrey. It was my first DCS injury since I began in 1981.

The physician assistant wouldn't place me on an oxygen mask, wouldn't call DAN to speak to a hyperbaric medicine expert, and from what the paramedics told me, I had been listed as a non-emergency transport. I believe it was 7 hours before I was chambered just 90 minutes from the accident site.

It took 2.5 years to get my balance back and to be able to process motion visually, but I lost the use of my right eye. I wear an eye patch now. I returned to freediving and tape over the right lens of the mask.

I don't know what the future holds for me as as SCUBA instructor. I have a job offer if I cross over to FII as a freediving instructor. My plans are to continue to get stronger, fitter, and take up spearfishing. I really want to cave dive again, but we'll see.

Glad you are back in the water and back posting, I have missed your input on scubaboard.
I find freediving as enjoyable/fulfilling as SCUBA.
Wish you well on your further recovery!

Welcome back Trace.
I'm so sorry about your experience @ the hospital.
Please be well and continue to heal.

Your post made me angry at the hospital. Refuse to call DAN? Glad you’re back with us.
That makes two of us.

Trace !!!

Welcome back ! This is my first post in a year and a half . Such great news -- as we say way out west Back in the saddle again !

Eagerly anticipating your very informative posts

Your OLD friend
SAM
Now you have some classic Aerosmith playing in my head!

did they say why they didn't ring DAN

Very glad you are getting better and a bit back in the water! I learned a lot from your posts in the past, I'm sure the world still has things you can contribute.

Really sorry about the hospital and transport. We might need those 'exposed to hyperbaric, call xxx' cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom