back grown check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the instructor won't let you sit in on the class,

ditto. I am often surprised at how many people post here saying that the parent's need to vacate and "get lost".

I understand they believe in their reasons, but I hope parent's don't just do what many recommend on this. Not really reasonable, considering the transient nature of Instructor's, the stakes, etc.

If they are not left alone, you don't need a background check.
Background checks are not that reliable...they have many mistakes, just like credit reports, and worse, have serious omissions. Many Instructor's move from place to place....I would never rely on a background check. Develop your gut.

Another cost passed on to the consumer.

I vote Na.

Stephen Ash:
I think that he is asking if a background check should routinely be performed by the employer (the LDS... not each individual customer) prior to hiring an instructor/dive master.

His question relates to an incident here in AZ where a shop owner has been accused of sexual improprieties with a minor.

It's a good question. I believe the shop has that reponsibility. A background check prior to employment MAY save a lot of grief later down the road.

i do post this thread for this incident but if i try to give for info on the incident scuba board kicks it off.
yes az has a law to do back grown check to work with kid but not for the scuba stores they do not have to do one.
i think they should!

For heaven's sake keep the legislature out of diving!

This is not meant as an attack on your character, intelligence, or personality....

If you want to rally support for a legislative change you might want to first start with outlining your plan in a clear and concise manner that is punctuated, capitalized, and otherwise grammatically sound. As it stands reading your posts is difficult at best, which will no doubt detract from the message you are trying to convey.

I know many people leave out proper grammar when communicating online, but if you feel so strongly about this issue then it is imperative that you express your views in a fashion equal to the task.

i do the best that i can i have a disability that make it hard to get it right
like the spilling and grammar

Like I said, in no way was my post meant as an ad hominem attack. I merely wanted to express that, to be taken seriously, you will need to formalize any legislative changes you would like to see made.

As for changing the laws regarding dive shop personnel... the shops can already require a background check prior to employment, so any change in laws will only adversely affect the shops as they will then be obliged to perform said background check as opposed to having the option to do so.

scubadiver1302001:
i do the best that i can i have a disability that make it hard to get it right
like the spilling and grammar

You have a lot of passion and clearly want to get your message out. Apply your passion and determination to working with your disability to make your message clear. Ask others for help or try a resource like this. Master what you need to know, I believe you can do it. What's the worst that can happen?
Ber :lilbunny:

that's okay...one of my kid's has an issue and things like spell check save him. check it out: "abc" in right corner. I don't use it because then I forget how to spell.

See, here is the problem, as I see it:

The dive shop requires a background check.
background check= about 75 dollars just for court documents, in public record.
Now, child molestor just goes to the next shop...or the next state.
So, what have you accomplished, really?
If you have a child and you have worries about a certain person, just stick around.
Teach them to handle themselves, but they really can't if alone or underwater.
I worry about poor judgement more than molestation and I see no reason for a parent to sit the class out.

The age was dropped to ten with the idea that some kids are ready to dive WITH their parents. Parents are an integral part of a child diving.

Once a kid is older, say 12, 13 or above, chances are they can handle themselves or at least report back about weirdness. You just cannot legislate these things.
(and start with just putting them in prison the first time, please)

I'll repeat that. Put them away the first time.
We have laws, enforce them.

That is not being done, which is why Oprah is teaming up with Bill O'Reilly.
If we are not enforcing our current laws, you are just passing more to make yourself feel better.

Once we have too many laws and can't afford to enforce them...you have a big mess. They let child rapists out right now. Go fix that first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom