back grown check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver1302001

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think back grown check on the dive master or instructor that works with kids should be done?

yes or no
if no why?
if yes help make it a law

Anyone in the United States has a perfect right to have a background check done on anyone to whom they entrust the care of their children.

However, I do not think it is incumbent upon the part of a dive operation to have to do extensive background checks on its employees.

Given the nature and turn over in the DM industry, doing background checks on each and every DM that came through a shop would place an undue financial burden upon the shop and, as a result, would drive the overall cost of diving upwards.

You want a background check? Break out the check book or credit card and git-r-dun!

No one's stopping you.

the K

Wow. Without knowing the reason for your question, let me just say if I were a DM being asked by a customer to submit to a background check I'd send the customer packing. And this is from someone who has gone through U.S. government background checks and several private firm background checks. They are a pain in the neck. I have nothing to hide, but the hassle of filling out a bunch of forms and documenting every place I've lived, worked, and traveled to can take hours.

If a customer demanded that I go through that I'd send them to another shop or instructor to get certified to avoid the hassle. I guess that would imply I've got something to hide, wouldn't it? Nope - my time is more valuable than some random persons interest in my residence and work history and credit score.

Lastly - what sort of nitwit would give the customer their SSN and detailed personal information to facilitate a background check?

make it a law

too many laws.

they are in the phone book, if you want to pay for one.

I advise staying with the instructor and your child.

Young kids should really only be diving with their parents or guardians anyway, usually, so best to be part of the program and hear what is taught.

Why not just ask for references? Seems like there is an underlying motive here.

When my son took his class, I was in the "background".

I was able to "check" his skills, level of water comfort, etc.

Best type of check there is.

If the instructor won't let you sit in on the class, find another. If you're not interested enough to sit in on the class, find another sport if it bothers you.

I believe that it is already a law in the US, that anyone who works with children must have a background check performed. It applies to daycare, camps, etc., but, I'm not sure how far it reaches out, or to what age it applies.

Either way, it doesn't seem to have had much impact on incidents involving children.

Be aware of where your children are, who they're with, and what they are doing. Those are about the only "laws" that will actually make a difference.

I think a legitimate question here is, what are you looking for in this check? Criminal records? Dive experience? Some indications if the instructor is a good teacher? There must have been some incident that would have prompted you to ask this, perhaps you could tell us to give context to your question.

Most states have a listed sex predators list. Here is Arizona's: http://az.gov/webapp/offender/main.do No back ground check needed when you have this. I would advise you to check ALL adults who come in contact with your kids, including teachers, doctors and such. Relying on the government to do this does not make sense.

The Boy Scouts have implemented a "two adult" rule. A child may never be alone with a non related adult. There must ALWAYS be two adults present.

I think that he is asking if a background check should routinely be performed by the employer (the LDS... not each individual customer) prior to hiring an instructor/dive master.

His question relates to an incident here in AZ where a shop owner has been accused of sexual improprieties with a minor.

It's a good question. I believe the shop has that reponsibility. A background check prior to employment MAY save a lot of grief later down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom