back grown check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bow out...I don't have enough information.

Scubadiver1302001,
I wish you the best and hope any actions you take help are helpful. You'll find a lot of support in the dive community, I think.

AzAtty:
For heaven's sake keep the legislature out of diving!
I can't agree with this more. There are existing processes and procedures that LDS owners can avail themselves of to perform these checks at their discretion. Making it a law won't solve anything.

The last thing we need is the government making this a requirement and then further discovering that Scuba is a non-regulated industry. Want to start paying a yearly dive license fee for the right to do something that's always been self-regulating, and free? I don't

And wait till you see what your LDS will start charging for regulator servicing once the government is brought in to regulate their processes. You know those costs will be directly passed on to the end consumer.

Stephen Ash:
I think that he is asking if a background check should routinely be performed by the employer (the LDS... not each individual customer) prior to hiring an instructor/dive master.

His question relates to an incident here in AZ where a shop owner has been accused of sexual improprieties with a minor.

It's a good question. I believe the shop has that reponsibility. A background check prior to employment MAY save a lot of grief later down the road.

Thanks for the clarification Stephen.

I think Rangers and Seals instructors/DM's should be checked on, just like when I coached club Soccer for 5 years, the state did a background check on my assistants and I every year.

As for everyone else employed at a shop that's a tough call for a small business. A national background check (the only one's that are effective) are expensive from what I understand from my old HR dept., add a drug screening and your looking at a big piece of change for pre-screening potential employees.

I am very sorry to hear what happened to your neice, I have a daughter the same age.

should routinely be performed by the employer

a shop owner has been accused of sexual improprieties with a minor.

I must be really thick.. So the owner would have done a check on himself?

I'm just really trying to see how this would work, where the rubber meets the road

Who is in charge of the oversite of the report?

i do not want the legislature in diving i want it to be mandatory at a backgrownd check is done on those that work with kids
and the scuba stores can have the employee can play for the check and be reinburst after thay are cleared

scubadiver1302001:
not the owner the GM at the store
not accused charged and convited he got 12 years

That may well be the case. I wasn't in the court room and I haven't seen anything in the news.

I thought he was an owner... but I've been wrong before.

It doesn't matter, though. Again... the details of this particular event are not important to this discussion.

One of the problems with a background check is that Pedophiles that have not been caught will slip through. I like the idea of teaching in a public setting or as someone else posted, using the "2 adult" rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom