back grown check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver1302001:
i do not want the legislature in diving i want it to be mandatory at a backgrownd check is done on those that work with kids
Fair enough, just like any other youth sports coach in the state. But scuba is a bit different because kids can be cert'd at 10, so basically every instrcutor/dm would need the check, not just the one's who run the youth programs. Not to minimize the incident, but it didn't happen in the course of instruction it happened at a "club nite", so who's to say that by doing background checks on kids instructors/dm's it could have been avoided unless you did it for everyone.

shark.byte.usa:
Did he have a previous conviction along the same lines that would have shown on a background check?

i do not know if he did

so...you haven't checked his background?

I am very sympathetic, really I am. My daughter's friends just got spied on for months at a tanning salon. (shudder)

You could use the phone book and do it yourself, right now.

Now..I am just asking. Should the janitor, for example also have a background check?

because, maybe ALL adults should have one as a routine employment process.

Where do you want to draw the line?

"works with kids" bus drivers, nurses, doctors, teachers?

What do you have in mind?

catherine96821:
so...you havent't checked his background?

but...you want us to?

I am very sympathetic, really I am.

You could use the phone book and do it yourself, right now.

I think he is talking about future checks. The person you mean is in jail already.

scubadiver1302001:
i do not know if he did
OK so we don't know if a background check was performed initially or if it wasn't if this horrible incident could have been avoided based on a prior conviction if it was.

That being said, to answer you original question:

YES IMO they should be preformed on instructors/dm's for youth programs. Just like if you were going to be a youth soccer, football, basketball coach, etc. in the state. As for everyone else that should be at the LDS discretion.

-Garrett

I understand how frustrated you must be scubadiver but I don't think backgrounds checks will do much good unless they have been previously convicted. As I said, references might be a better way.

I have mixed feelings about background checks. I have always hated zero tolerance policies and any time you implement something like this via law it invariably has to have a hard set limit of what is acceptable and what is not. Most would agree that any sort of felony would exclude you but I have a problem with even that. There have been cases (as was mentioned previously) in some states where an 18 year old is convicted of statutory rape with his 17 year old wife. Also if you are ever convicted of a DUI in Canada this is considered a felony as well. I don't think either of these offenses should exclude you from being a DM or Instructor, nor do I think these people would necessarily be putting kids into danger. Sex offender databases have their own problems too. In many states public urination can get you put on the sex offender database. This means if you're out camping and duck behind a tree to do your business you better be real certain there isn't a cop around who might arrest you.

My other concern is where does this all stop? Think about how many people come into contact with children every day. We can't background check everybody, that's called a police state. Even the 2 adult rule has problems with diving. Are you going to send 2 DM's or instructors with every kid on their tours after performing skills? Boy did the price of the class just increase.

I agree that reasonable measures should be put into place, but they shouldn't be legislated, and they shouldn't be hard set (zero tolerance type policies). The idea of parents or someone designated by the parents accompanying children during OW training seems good on the face of it. I'd want to talk to an instructor and see if having parents around tends to have them try to "help" too much.

If there has to be a system involving background checks I would think it would be best handled at the agency level, not the dive shop level. That way a felony background check could be run yearly and if the DM/Instructor so chose they could share that information with the dive shop or customer. The sharing of that information would be optional, NOT mandatory. I still don't like the idea of a felony automatically excluding a DM or Instructor but the second legislation gets involved that is going to happen. I wish I had a better answer, I don't.

Stephen Ash:
No. That wasn't the deal at all.

Actually, that WAS completely the deal, the original post was removed.

So why would you say otherwise, with authority, especially as you are wrong?

RonFrank:
Actually, that WAS completely the deal, the original post was removed.

So why would you say otherwise, with authority, especially as you are wrong?

Well, Ron... you're wrong.

I know about the incident... I saw the original post... I know what Thomas was trying to say.

You apparently misunderstood. It's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom