Back from Cozumel and I should have listen to everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to book our first trip to Coz today, and have a couple of questions about where to stay. It will be my wife and I, and we generally prefer the laid back AI route. We have stayed in Cancun three times.

I am leaning toward the Occidental Grande. Two questions:

1. Do they have the LIGHT mexican beer on tap, and

2. How many minutes does it take to get into town by taxi?

The first question sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised. We have done three AI vacations in Cancun, and one of the three had only regular mexican beer on draft, and only one choice at that. Well, I don't know about you, but when it's 90 degrees outside, I prefer a light beer. :D

Also, I get the impression that planning a trip in Coz is quite a bit different then Cancun. In Cancun, you don't really care about getting to town, although some people take the bus to see the flea market. I take it there is a lot more to do and see in town when in Coz, making it more desirable to leave the hotel and see the town?

tampascott:
1. Do they have the LIGHT mexican beer on tap?

No, regular Corona only.

2. How many minutes does it take to get into town by taxi?

Depending on traffic, 15-20 minutes. If there is no traffic and the driver is REALLY fast - 10 minutes (had one guy do the whole trip at 130 kph).

I take it there is a lot more to do and see in town when in Coz, making it more desirable to leave the hotel and see the town?

Absolutely. We've stayed at the Allegro/Grand two years in a row, and always make a point to get into town at least once during the trip. Spend the day, do some souvenir shopping, have lunch, maybe dinner. Cab fare from the Grand for two people to the ferry dock is $15. Other option (which we did this last trip) is to rent a car for a day ($40-$75 depending on how much insurance you buy) and drive around the whole island. We spent the morning in town, ate lunch at Coconuts (east side of island), explored island in the afternoon, and then back to downtown for dinner.

I stayed at the Allegro the first time, and while I'd rather stay at an economy hotel closer to town, I did like this one. Like the operator there, too. Only two problems:

(1) They all have hard beds. If you like a softer one, get a foam rubber "egg crate" pad in town.

(2) They all use 30-40 watt light bulbs. Take a few 75-100 watts in your carryon...

Canucklehead:
We spent the morning in town, ate lunch at Coconuts (east side of island), explored island in the afternoon, and then back to downtown for dinner.

Ahhhh. . .Coconuts. . . how will we know you in the pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom