Back from Cozumel and I should have listen to everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeancmo:
My vote is for Caribe Blu- newly renovated with real beds!!
This is a great place!! and very much worth the $$$ I'd pay twice the amount but don't let them know that!!!!

How did you guess? My family has been staying there every year since 1981.

This is curiously the exact opposite of my experience. Our room was two stories with no protective railing on the stairs. Kinda scarry having to walk up tile stairs in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom with no railing.

Sorry to hear your experience was not so good. I had a small room (I had no stairs - they don't sound fun) in the courtyard and will request the same when I go again. My bed was small, definitely not the same as my bed at home, but after a long day I crashed easily.

As far as the food, I liked the optional menu. I did pass on some of the main meals and opted for a burger, sandwich or taco. I've never had "excellent" food at an AI, but for me, Scuba Club's was not so bad and actually one of the better ones.

Eric

My votes are:
AI: Occidental Grand, hands down
Non AI: Casa Mexicana.

Have to set up your own dive op, but that isn't a problem based on what y ou can learn here on this board.

Rich Hagelin

We just got back from my 1st trip to Cozumel. We rented a house (Casa Tina) which worked out great for us. (7 nights - $1200 total divided by four of us - $43.00 ea per night) Optional cook service for however many meals we wanted turned out to be wonderful and triditional. (a bit undependable however). Walking distance to grocery store with town a managable walk as well. Privacy, security and our own pool. $6 for four of us to get to Del Mar which is the DO we used. For us this was a great way to experiance the Island. Diving was fantastic! Anxious to go back.

zinmaker:
INTRUDERDIVER,

In general the beds in Cozumel are rock hard. My suggestion to a better vacation is to drink more, just until you don't really care what the food tastes like. Glad you saw a shark, didn't see one my last trip down there, but did see a couple of Leaf Scorpion fish, and a Frog fish.
re: the hard beds - From what I was told it's not just Cozumel but most of the Yucatan Peninsula. We sat through a TimeShare speal earlier this year near Playa Del Carmen. When we complained about the hard beds we were told that's the number 1 complaint they hear. The explanation had something to do about the bed manufacturers only delivering hard beds to Mexico. Difficult to believe. When we go back I think we'll be bringing our own foam mattress tops...

Jerry

geraldp:
re: the hard beds - From what I was told it's not just Cozumel but most of the Yucatan Peninsula. We sat through a TimeShare speal earlier this year near Playa Del Carmen. When we complained about the hard beds we were told that's the number 1 complaint they hear. The explanation had something to do about the bed manufacturers only delivering hard beds to Mexico. Difficult to believe. When we go back I think we'll be bringing our own foam mattress tops...

Jerry

FWIW - The beds at the Caribe Blu are just fine.

Cheers,

re: hard beds.

I may be alone on this one but I like hard beds. The harder the better. I have a 3/4 inch plywood board between my box spring and mattress at home. I slept on the floor a couple of nights at the Grand on Cozumel and they have pretty hard beds there. It's the soft beds that give me problems.

Does anyone else like really hard beds?

Texas Diver:
I may be alone on this one but I like hard beds. The harder the better. I have a 3/4 inch plywood board between my box spring and mattress at home. I slept on the floor a couple of nights at the Grand on Cozumel and they have pretty hard beds there. It's the soft beds that give me problems.

Does anyone else like really hard beds?
I love hard beds. Until I recently bought a new matress I also kept plywood between them. When my back is acting up I prefer sleeping on a carpeted floor to a matress. However some of the beds in Cozumel are too hard even for me. Scuba Club uses a 4 inch matress that is not an inner spring but rather packed to the gills with somthing and sitting on a concrete slap. After two days on it I could hardly move.

James

FWIW my wife and I stayed at Caribe Blu in april. Good beds, walked to town in about 20 to 25 minutes, and a decent shore dive out front.

i think i will seriously try fiest american, or caribe blu the next time around..

i think for our first trip, since we have so little time, we'll shoot for the presidente..

thanks for the advice!

-dan

Back
Top Bottom