Back from Cozumel and I should have listen to everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite what others on here might lead you to believe, not all AI's are bad. We've stayed at the Allegro and plan to stay there again. It's what works for us.

You'll see both negative and positive reviews here about the AI resorts. Sorry that the Reef Club turned out to be such a downer, but on your next trip to Cozumel, decide what kind of trip you want, read the reviews and go with what makes sense for you.

I stayed at the Occidental Allegro AI and it was great, and I will stay there again. Thanks for the warning on Reef Club though.

INTRUDERDIVER,

In general the beds in Cozumel are rock hard. My suggestion to a better vacation is to drink more, just until you don't really care what the food tastes like. Glad you saw a shark, didn't see one my last trip down there, but did see a couple of Leaf Scorpion fish, and a Frog fish.

I hope while you were there, you had time to look at other resorts. Where are you thinking of going next time?

Stayed at Reef Club 3 years ago and it was......ok. It seems from recent reviews that it has gone straight downhill. Last couple of trips have been to Iberostar and it's a great AI.

zinmaker:
INTRUDERDIVER,

In general the beds in Cozumel are rock hard. My suggestion to a better vacation is to drink more, just until you don't really care what the food tastes like. Glad you saw a shark, didn't see one my last trip down there, but did see a couple of Leaf Scorpion fish, and a Frog fish.

Zin.........oh, such good advice. Let's all drink MORE so we can increase our DCS chances. Why don't we all just watch you and we'll learn..............what not to do. Keep up that common sence and your go for a ride

I have stayed at Reef Club and was disappointed. Iberostar was much better and I stay there when the women in my family go (they want a nice beach and someone to bring drinks and food). When I go solo or with my son, we stay in town.

Sorry you had the same experience I did.

dnhill

I would not recommend the Fiesta Americana either.

Has anyone that goes to Cozumel often and has tried several resorts liked Reef Club? In my experience, trying many different resorts, some AI, some not, maybe some expectations are too high for the area, maybe not.

scubajeanie:
Has anyone that goes to Cozumel often and has tried several resorts liked Reef Club? In my experience, trying many different resorts, some AI, some not, maybe some expectations are too high for the area, maybe not.
I've done the AI thing in Cozumel, I've also done FI (food inclusive) and I've stayed at the smaller hotels. I've stepped in to quite a few hotels and while I've never stayed at the Reef Club I have eaten there.

Often, when I travel I like to stay in 4-5 star hotels. I like luxury and some pampering on vacation. However I learned from my first experience with Coz that that is not what you go to Coz for. I've never been in the Presidente but I've never seen anything in Cozumel that I thought was even approacing 4 stars there.

No, in Cozumel I take a different track. I consider it a dive intensive vacation with the opportunity to interface with some great people with a great culture. I like trying little restraunts in and around town and I like to walk around the plaza and shops with a beer in one hand and a cuban in the other. I also enjoy laying in a hammock at the hotel watching the cruise ships go by.

So when in Coz, I thow away the idea of a ritzy resort with 3 pools and 5 restraunts to choose from. Here is what I look for in a hotel, in order:

1. Free shore diving on site. It's really nice to follow up morning dives drifting by the reefs with a nice slow look at everything shore dive. And to me it's the best way to dive at night.
2. A comfortable bed. I've done that bale of hay on a slab thing and no thanks. I need a real bed with a box springs.
3. A clean, comfortable room. In Coz, if you find a place that is dive focused you're not likely to have things like carpet in the room. They just don't need all the water on it. But you can find a clean and comfortable room for a reasonable price. Even one that's roomy with a nice balcony overlooking the ocean.
4. Close to town. Unfortunatly this option is difficult to do and satisfy number 1. I've stayed at two so far that are within walking distance for me but it's a fair hike. I generally walk it 2 out of 3 times on average.
5. Friendly staff. 'Nuff said.
6. A fridge in the room so I can pick up a 12 pack of Dos Equis.
7. Cheap. I don't mind paying for luxury, but I'm not getting it in Coz. I go to Coz because it offers great diving AND it's just about the cheapest dive vacation I can do, which allows me to get there at least once a year in addition to whatever more expensive vacations I do.

Are expectations too high? I think so for anyone who's never been there. It's a poor place with good diving, not some built up vacation destination with mile after mile of fancy resorts. If you want that go to Cancun, please. I'll stick with my nice little place that I love and continue paying $110 a day for a room, 2 boat dives and all the shore dives I want.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom