B2 swivel qualify for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As stated in my profile I am approaching a complete DIR equipment set up. The one and only issue remaining is the Atomic B2 swivel located at the 2nd stage. Can use a new 5ft hose from Atomic with the swivel or do I need to ditch the swivel? If I need to ditch the swivel then I will just purchase a Z2 with a 5ft hose.

The swivel is defintely not GUE DIR compliant. but unless you're doing a course with them.... anyway, with a 5-7ft hose, you really don't need the swivel.

Minimalism within realistic expectations is the key.

What purpose does it serve?

Is it needed for the dive? Yes / No.

If no, don't use it.

Additionally, it adds a failure point by adding another piece with o-rings that could blow, or the swivel could come apart.

One of the basic principles of DIR diving is being a thinking diver.

Why do you need a swivel? Is there a problem with your hose routing or the type of second stage you have? Could the problem be solved without the addition of another piece of equipment? What issues do or could the swivel cause, and is its benefit greater than those risks?

As my Fundies instructor said to Rick Inman about his quick release on his harness: You have to decide whether your need for it is great enough to merit the problems it could cause.

No reasonable DIR diver is going to refuse to do a pleasant recreational dive with you because you have a swivel on your regulator. Somebody might get concerned about going a couple thousand feet back in a cave with it, though.

shellbackdiver1:
As stated in my profile I am approaching a complete DIR equipment set up. The one and only issue remaining is the Atomic B2 swivel located at the 2nd stage. Can use a new 5ft hose from Atomic with the swivel or do I need to ditch the swivel? If I need to ditch the swivel then I will just purchase a Z2 with a 5ft hose.
I would not recommend a swiveled reg. Besides the points that have already been mentioned (unnecessary, possible failure point), you should be aware that the Atomic swivel regs use a non-standard fitting at the second stage. If you have a problem at the dive site and have to swap something out, then trust me - you will wish you had a second stage with a standard fitting.

Also consider that most Atomic second stages cannot be disassembled that easily. The outer cover is easy enough to take off by hand, but there is an internal retaining ring that requires a tool to remove before you can get to the diaphragm. Atomic sells a "cave ring" option for the M1 that addresses this issue, but as far as I know, that's the only Atomic reg that it fits.

TSandM:
As my Fundies instructor said to Rick Inman about his quick release on his harness: ...
You had to bring that up again?? :D

Now I do it the easy way and just cut myself out after every dive and replace the harness. :wink:

Oh - As to the swivel, what she said.

I can take out my B2's retaining ring by hand just fine.

DIR-Atlanta:
use a non-standard fitting at the second stage. If you have a problem at the dive site and have to swap something out, then trust me - you will wish you had a second stage with a standard fitting.
That's a most typically (ab)used non-argument... :wink:
If I go diving, I have a complete spare reg with me in the car... because in a lot of cases at the dive site it did/does occur that someone of our group, or other divers at the dive site, did forget his reg at home and/or someone has a problem with his reg and instead of starting to disassemble/assemble/modify regs I simply hand over my spare reg and that's it. Life can be as simple and easy as you want it to be... :14:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom