Autoinflating drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
We tried to dive today, and Peter's suit was apparently autoinflating. We tried unhooking the drysuit hose and reconnecting it -- no joy. We tried cycling the valve manually a number of times, but a small leak persisted.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong, and is there anything we can do about it, short of either replacing the valve or sending the suit to the shop?

My DUI Dry Suit Repair Seminar outline says:

Apeks Drysuit Inflation Valves

If valve area is leaking, unscrew the valve and apply a small portion of silicon
sealant to the base of the valve and reseal valve.

Apeks valves are virtually maintenance free. The valves should be rinsed in
fresh water after use and then the remaining water gently shaken off.
If the valves are not working properly, replace the valves.

It then goes on to indicate that the retail price of the inlet valve is $80.00

Sounds like a valve problem.:11doh:

Have you tried hooking it up now that you're back at home? Also inspecting between the valve body and button for sand or grit that may be binding it?

Does the button rebound or it the whole thing jammed up?

Pete

The button rebounds and appears to shut off. There just seems to be slow leak -- sometimes slower than others!

The same thing happened to me a few months ago on my White's Catalyst. Pretty aggravating when trying to shoot a bag in midwater. Right or wrong, I disassembled the valve which is pretty simple to find nothing apparent. Took the valve, dunked it in a bucket of freshwater several times, reassembled & resiliconed & haven't had the problem since.

Have you checked the 1st stage IP?

I had the same problem with my Apeks inflator not completely shutting off and continuing to slowly inflate.

It was a 10-minute job to take the valve inner base off, disassemble, clean things up and apply a little silicone lube (Dow 111) to the two o-rings and reassemble.

Here's the process.
  1. Rotate the button-side of the housing counterclockwise until it reaches its stop.
  2. Hold it in place while turning the inner valve base counterclockwise (inside the suit) to unscrew and remove the inner valve base. (The button side of the valve is still firmly attached to the suit with caulk- do not dislodge or recaulking may be necessary.)
  3. Depress the inflator button to extend the button shaft and provide clearance. Remove the c-clip.
  4. Remove the button shaft and spring from the outer valve housing.
  5. Clean all as needed (remove the o-rings to clean them).
  6. Lightly lube the o-rings with silicone lube (such as Dow 111) and reinstall them.
  7. Reassemble and screw on the inner valve base after rotating the outer button-side of the valve housing clockwise to its opposite stop, then hand-tighten the inner valve base. Do not overtighten.
See pics below.

Dave C

Apeks_inflator_c-clip.jpg

Apeks_inflator_button_shaft_spring_o-rings_c-clip.jpg

Thanks Dave, I've never had an inlet valve apart.

Thanks Dave, I've never had an inlet valve apart.

You're welcome!

I'd never had one apart either, but parsimony drove me to it! :D

Maybe I'll coin a new phrase: while "Necessity is the Mother of Invention", "Parsimony is her aphrodisiac". :)

Dave C

Thanks for the description AND the photographs, Dave!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom