Austin Area Trimix Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in Austin,TX and have been wanting to do a Trimix course for some time now.I only know of one local instructor that teaches trimix and his courses typically span several weeks,which would not work well with my work/travel schedule.

I am thinking that if 2 or 3 others were interested it might be worth getting together and "importing" an instructor to teach the class over a continuous period of 5 days or so. This would certainly work out cheaper than going to Florida / the Caribbean.

So,anybody interested??

There is a trimix instructor (actually an IANTD trimix IT) living in Austin who could probably teach you full time. You can email him on diveschool@usa.net. Better hurry though, before any other diving bodies follow PADI's lead in banning him. To be fair, he is a good instructor (in the water, at any rate), but a little reluctant to issue cert cards even after he's accepted payment for them. And watch your belongings. He used to manage my dive center until he departed rather abruptly a year ago, when I was away. Quite a story there. PM me for more.

I know who you are talking about and have heard some of the story. Dont think he is going to make my short list of possible instructors !!

ianr33,

did you do your advanced nitrox in the Austin area? If so where at? I'm doing my divemaster in the spring and would like to add some technical stuff on the side as well (advanced nitrox and wreck come to mind)

Scott

lundysd:
ianr33,

did you do your advanced nitrox in the Austin area? If so where at? I'm doing my divemaster in the spring and would like to add some technical stuff on the side as well (advanced nitrox and wreck come to mind)

Scott

No I did Advanced Nitrox/Deco with Divetech on Grand Cayman a couple of years ago. Highly recommended but not exactly inexpensive after paying for the course+gas+flight+lodging+car !

I decided that I am too selfish to spend my time teaching and that the tech route was what I wanted to do.

Have a friend that teaches Advanced Nitrox/Deco locally. PM me if you are interested.

I am in the same boat as you are. I just can't take off work for more than a week or so. I am self employed but I jus can't be away longer than that and I haven't been able to find anyone in Texas who could do it so I was going to probably go to Florida but I would certainly entertain the idea of going together with other Texas divers and hiring someone in to do it. Lake Travis would be a good place I would think and it is right in your backyard. It is a few hour drive for me but that is no big deal. After I get certified I will be diving mix in Lake Travis on a pretty regular basis for a while. I have been to 164ft in Lake Travis a couple of times and in the 110-140ft range quite a bit at Travis and Possum Kingdom, but I want to get mix certified and open up some more oppurtunities as well as some awesome sites in the Gulf that I am not comfortable doing on air.

peterbj7:
There is a trimix instructor (actually an IANTD trimix IT) living in Austin who could probably teach you full time. You can email him on diveschool@usa.net. Better hurry though, before any other diving bodies follow PADI's lead in banning him. To be fair, he is a good instructor (in the water, at any rate), but a little reluctant to issue cert cards even after he's accepted payment for them. And watch your belongings. He used to manage my dive center until he departed rather abruptly a year ago, when I was away. Quite a story there. PM me for more.

PADI actually banned him????
Bill

Theres an instructor in San Antonio that teaches all levels of Technical Diving. You can find him at www.duggandiving.com. I know he is all the way in San Antonio but he does do his dives at Lake Travis.

Kai

Hey Ian,

I too am looking for an instructor. I just posted a note on the Deco stop.

There are 2 Trimix instructors in Austin, both of which you know or have heard about. I am looking for a third.

L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom