Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are trying very hard to argue I felt it was his fault.
If I felt it was his fault, I would have said so directly, and you wouldn't have had to try so hard to make me look bad. Buzz off.
I wasn't trying very hard at all. You said "You failed", or am I misquoting you?

I wasn't trying very hard at all. You said "You failed", or am I misquoting you?
The student failed post course because the instructor administered a test and gave the answers away. Primary responsibility lies with the instructor. Secondary lies with the student for accepting the answers and not pursuing the instruction he was due.

I agreed with your sentiment, but can't agree with your math. Stringing together too many nines or zeroes after a decimal point for reality is a common bit of hyperbole, but the parenthetical statement implies that you were serious.

If something doesn't apply to 99% of x, then it does apply to 1% or 1 in 100. 99.9% would apply to 1 in a thousand and so on. Your number 99.9999999% means it would apply to 1 in a billion (thousand million for UK readers) divers. I think the total number of scuba divers in history is under a tenth of this number. Meaning we might have to wait for several centuries to find a situation where the procedures would be useful.

Sorry, pet peeve. Carry on.

"maths are hard"

Mom was a math teacher, Dad was an electronics engineer; according to them: "Any idiot can understand Calculus".

Come on guys, this is ScubaBoard. You all should be used to argumentum ad absurdum by now! :wink: :stirpot: :oops::p:rofl3:

I had to do a lot of self-study after my OW cert. I had no idea how to use tables and I was certified long before recreational computers were widespread. I had no idea how to set up my equipment. I had no idea how to do anything other than follow the instructions of a DM and try to keep up.
Well then I’d say you got screwed!
How does that have anything to do with PADI or whatever agency you used? They all have a set if rules and if the instructor doesn’t follow them then it’s the instructors fault. How can you expect the agency to micro manage every single class that goes on around the world? They would have to have just as many people on patrol as the amount of classes going on.
That’s why you turn them in.
I was PADI certified in 1998 and it was a complete standard PADI course and I have no complaints.
It was by the book and the instructor was thorough.
In fact, when we went out to the ocean to do our check out dives, the DM couldn’t find an area that didn’t have urchins so the instructor told us we were going to need to stay off the bottom, and we did.

Concur.
How does that have anything to do with PADI or whatever agency you used? They all have a set if rules and if the instructor doesn’t follow them then it’s the instructors fault. How can you expect the agency to micro manage every single class that goes on around the world? They would have to have just as many people on patrol as the amount of classes going on.
Concur.
I was PADI certified in 1998 and it was a complete standard PADI course and I have no complaints.
In fact, when we went out to the ocean to do our check out dives, the DM couldn’t find an area that didn’t have urchins so the instructor told us we were going to need to stay off the bottom, and we did.
Excellent!

And if they (or any agency) were to "micro-manage every single class that goes on around the world," it would expose the agency to the kind of "vicarious liability" that they routinely disclaim in defense when they are included in a lawsuit on that basis. (See the MIlls case, for example.)

It seems to me that GUE has tried to strike a balance on this. They publish the standards for each course, so a student is well aware of what is expected of them, and they have a Quality Control program where each student is asked to fill out a course evaluation form after their class is over.

This is a laughable view point.

Organizations like PADI, which create the systems and processes that instructors operate within, have a significant influence on the behavior and performance of those instructors. PADI is responsible for developing and delivering the training programs that instructors must complete before they are certified. This means PADI is not just responsible for providing the curriculum but also for ensuring that the curriculum is effectively taught and understood by instructors.

PADI could implement systems for monitoring instructors' performance through regular assessments, student feedback, and peer reviews. These feedback mechanisms could allow PADI to identify instructors who may not be meeting standards and to take corrective actions, such as additional training, mentorship, or decertification.

If PADI fosters a culture that prioritizes safety, excellence, and adherence to standards, instructors are more likely to align with these values, however it prioritizes certifying more students. Their mission statement is "Mission: Create a billion Torchbearers to explore and protect the ocean."

Back
Top Bottom