Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my initial training from the military. When stationed in Hawaii the local dive shops would not accept my military cert so I took the OW PADI course. The instructor was a Army Scuba instructor that also was PADI. Worked hard during the course and no short cuts were taken. Took the PADI AOW and Rescue from the same instructor. I am glad I did. During my 45+ years of diving I have always been wiling to learn from divers from other disciplines.

I got my initial training from the military. When stationed in Hawaii the local dive shops would not accept my military cert so I took the OW PADI course. The instructor was a Army Scuba instructor that also was PADI. Worked hard during the course and no short cuts were taken. Took the PADI AOW and Rescue from the same instructor. I am glad I did. During my 45+ years of diving I have always been wiling to learn from divers from other disciplines.
Was that training in Hawaii per chance out of Ocean Concepts?

, I’m not engaging in this thread anymore. Good day.
So, is that the 4th time you've said that you are done with this thread? Or the 5th? C'mon man. Make a decision and stick with it.

People need to understand that the dogma/equipment/procedures is all about what happens when things go seriously wrong and you are very deep in a cave. Which doesn't apply to 99.9999999% of divers (I think that percentage is likely too low).
I agreed with your sentiment, but can't agree with your math. Stringing together too many nines or zeroes after a decimal point for reality is a common bit of hyperbole, but the parenthetical statement implies that you were serious.

If something doesn't apply to 99% of x, then it does apply to 1% or 1 in 100. 99.9% would apply to 1 in a thousand and so on. Your number 99.9999999% means it would apply to 1 in a billion (thousand million for UK readers) divers. I think the total number of scuba divers in history is under a tenth of this number. Meaning we might have to wait for several centuries to find a situation where the procedures would be useful.

Sorry, pet peeve. Carry on.

Who said it was his fault?
It's seems pretty strongly implied by the language you used. You know by saying "you failed," vs saying something like the instructor failed to uphold the standards required for open water certification, and the instructor failed to provide you with the required education needed to be a safe autonomous diver.

It's seems pretty strongly implied by the language you used. You know by saying "you failed," vs saying something like the instructor failed to uphold the standards required for open water certification, and the instructor failed to provide you with the required education needed to be a safe autonomous diver.
You are trying very hard to argue I felt it was his fault.
If I felt it was his fault, I would have said so directly, and you wouldn't have had to try so hard to make me look bad. Buzz off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom