Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting attempt at moving the goal post but ok.

So you’re saying that someone was sanctioned for their actions. That’s novel, maybe the legacy agencies should try it.
Just remember GUE instructor do get the license revoked for whatever crime committed.
DIR divers is no difference from others.
No. Apparently this is the same as it always has been. As some of said here, SB posters have long memories.
You are the OP!
I still remember some of the arguments/discussions circulated 25 yrs ago.
"Seven days Adventist of scuba diving"! LOL.

Are you saying that’s a bad thing?
LOL. DIR divers is NO saint!

LOL. DIR divers is NO saint!

I’m not sure you could make less sense if you tried

All of my used regs were given to me by various sources. I do all my own work so I can go throught them and repair/service as needed. I’ve never run across a reg that was too far gone to restore.
Tanks, same thing.

I have tossed a few stages (mostly 2nds) that weren't worth fixing or for which I couldn't get parts. The now-spare firsts work great as tire fillers. But generally I agree with you. Most of my regs were bought used. The ones in service all work perfectly.

Some observations I’ve had on some Facebook groups including- ironically- the DiveTalk one,
Dive and let dive. Few DIR divers adhere to the GI3 mindset of everyone else being a stroke. That said, I have met more than my share of FIGJAMs on either side of that ideology. There are a lot of divers who have a whole lot of misconceptions about how others dive and why. Meh. Dive and let dive. As long as they aren't silting out the place, it's a big ocean and there's room for all of us. Just stay out of my caves! :D :D :D

Not all of us can be a grumpy old cave man.
Yah, but you really want to be. :D :D :D

1723348635975.png

Thanks to @Gene for this pic​

Last thing I’ll post in this thread- yes, that is exactly how the case ended. A settlement was reached.

But a similar incident happened with this shop a couple of years before (I believe?), and PADI failed to police them up or address their issues. There have been plenty of other cases- whether that is a symptom of PADI’s issues or simply a matter of so many shops being affiliated with PADI (and, as a result, many incidents “falling” at their feet) is a topic of more discussion that I’m frankly done with at this point. I’m sure you can ascertain what I think.

This thread has exhausted itself of any usefulness now. Not going to bicker over PADI, DIR, or anything else here anymore as nothing useful has been gleaned from it. Posting this thread was a mistake.

2 things.

First, whatever made you believe that anything productive could come of this discussion proves you have not been paying any attention for the last 25 or so years.

Second, this thread demonstrates Godwin's Law as it applies to PADI. No lengthy discussion of almost anything can be had without devolving into PADI bashing of some type. I have heard this for the last 50 years. PADI's response, they grow and make more money. You guys have really showed them.

Attitudes towards DIR divers?? Probably runs the spectrum about the same as the attitudes given off by DIR divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom