Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said before, I believe in the "Dive and Let Dive" mentality. But after reading for awhile I did a bit of math and marketing evaluation of the situation. It is my understanding that 96% of divers are recreational or vacation divers that have no DIR/GUE training. Of those 4% with DIR training, I would venture to say 75% will not dive cave or wrecks on a regular basis. So, we are down to less than 1% of all divers that need or rely on DIR/GUE training for the diving that they do. From a marketing perspective, this is not where you want to spend your research dollars. The market is too small, maybe one or two specialized companies can do it, but not everyone. The real money is with the other 99%.

This also means that 99% of divers don't need and I would say 80% of divers don't want that level of training or skills. Why, the cost and time required to attain it is not warranted for the diving that they intend to enjoy. They just want to get underwater and see the pretty fish. So, why would the instructors who are teaching this 80% of divers waste their time getting that same training. I am not saying that none do, I am asking what is the incentive. Yes, we all have personal incentives to be better, but most are not willing to spend the time and money that has little return on investment.

I believe DIR/GUE has a place in the industry, but it is a very small place. It appears that some here on SB want it to be the only way to dive. Unfortunately, the math does not add up to that. My LDS is a GUE shop, great people, never comment on my gear setup. I understand what they are doing, they understand why I have the equipment that I use. Simple Dive and Let Dive understanding.

Now I know someone is going to comment on my numbers, I won't argue, they are rounded. Even if I am off by 5% (large margin of error), I still believe the same is true.

Nothing wrong with the "DIR" philosophy. It should be the industry standard. "DIR-minded" divers are typically safer, more skilled, and more reliable divers than the typical divers who were trained by the big names like PADI.

The problem is most definitely the assholish attitude of GUE divers. They've earned their poor reputation. I've never had a PADI instructor who was as angry and sadistic as GUE instructors.

Depends upon your interpretation of what DIR actually means.

If you interpret DIR as having great skills--not accepting mediocre or poor skills--through practice then those skills make recreational diving much safer and more pleasurable.

If you interpret DIR as mainly equipment and procedure Dogma then it's hard to see how that would apply to recreational (non technical) diving.

The latter are the tiresome DIR-warriors. The former are great divers.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on this scuba forum. My experiences with GUE proves they have a bad attitude with no quality control, all the way to the top of the organization.
If everything smells like poop check your mustache.

And yet here you are, the non-persistent unbiased passerby…
I like the training I received, both DIR/GUE and non-DIR. One thing I've learned from these threads is that trying to look into the minds of divers just keeps fueling the fire.

This is how they see all non practicing DIR/GUE divers...

Screenshot_20240807_062938_Facebook.jpg

I mean look at all the dive sites that are destroyed by OW divers... Clearly conservation is a goal in name only for most of the orgs.
Look at all the reefs and fisheries that are actually destroyed by boating and fishing. Divers may cause inadvertent damage, but nothing compared to the surface dwellers. Nobody is going out there saying let's stand on the reef and hug fire coral. They're trained poorly because heavy and knees are the easiest for the masses. A flatter trim and skills taught as such would benefit everyone without all the silliness that comes with the dogma divers.

Depends upon your interpretation of what DIR actually means.

If you interpret DIR as having great skills--not accepting mediocre or poor skills--through practice then those skills make recreational diving much safer and more pleasurable.

If you interpret DIR as mainly equipment and procedure Dogma then it's hard to see how that would apply to recreational (non technical) diving.

The latter are the tiresome DIR-warriors. The former are great divers.
This is an interesting take on the situation, however, with most GUE instructors, you can't get the training without getting the equipment and procedure dogma. I don't associate good diving skills with DIR/GUE exclusively, I believe good skills can be attained without drinking the Kool-Aid. I believe there is more to DIR/GUE than just equipment and skills. I believe it is a rigid acceptance to a set of standards, some of those standards are just not necessary for recreational diving. I am not saying that they are not useful, but not necessary. I would question whether some of the skills makes diving any more safe or pleasurable, both are very subjective. I know many divers who are very safe and enjoy their dives without perfecting all the skills taught by GUE.

This is an interesting take on the situation, however, with most GUE instructors, you can't get the training without getting the equipment and procedure dogma. I don't associate good diving skills with DIR/GUE exclusively, I believe good skills can be attained without drinking the Kool-Aid....
I believe there is an increasing number of non-GUE instructors who are capable of teaching good diving skills. Although the masses may not be clamoring for a "skills workshop," a determined diver can probably find an instructor who will teach good buoyancy, trim, control, frog and back kick, DSMB deployment, etc. This kind of course may be offered under the name "intro to tech" and thus fail to attract as many divers as might otherwise be interested, but a course can be found. I'd bet there are a few instructors on SB who teach this stuff. No need to seek out DIR if these kinds of skills are all an OW rec diver is looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom