Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more you post, the more I’m convinced that you don’t know that many DIR divers.
And the more you post, the more I'm convinced you have not done a lot a diving in many different places.

In my cave, CCR, and other technical training, and very occasionally on recreational dive trips, I meet GUE divers, even some UTD divers, and some who profess to just be DIR by practice, not training or certification. That is perhaps 30-50k divers over the years Some are quite nice folks. Some are zealots. I can't really describe any of the non-DIR divers I meet as zealots, just some of the DIR folks.

@tursiops, wouldn't anyone who strongly argues that any ol' way will do just fine with respect to how a diver configures their gear, serves as a buddy, reserves enough air, handles an OOA situation, orients themself in the water, follows their computer, etc., fit a definition of "non-DIR zealot"?

@tursiops, wouldn't anyone who strongly argues that any ol' way will do just fine with respect to how a diver configures their gear, serves as a buddy, reserves enough air, handles an OOA situation, orients themself in the water, follows their computer, etc., fit a definition of "non-DIR zealot"?
Maybe. I prefer to think of it as tit-for-tat pushback.
The difference is the OP asked for input, and he is not happy with what he is hearing because it disagrees with his experience. He interprets that as the input is flawed; I interpret it as his experience is flawed.

In my thinking... zealots proselytize. The non-DIR folks don't seem to do that.

In my thinking. zealots proselytize. The non-DIR folks don't seem to do that.
My point was, what could a non-DIR diver proselytize about? I don't think it's really possible to proselytize about some kind of system that doesn't exist. Can an agnostic proselytize?

I have no idea what the OP wants out of this thread, either.

When @Rollin Bonz and I were getting interested in technical diving, we read a bit about the subject, and one of the words that kept coming up was "DIR." We weren't really sure what DIR meant, though, so we asked a tec instructor that we both knew. He answered with a shrug and a pithy phrase: "It's a scuba cult."

My point was, what could a non-DIR diver proselytize about? I don't think it's really possible to proselytize about some kind of system that doesn't exist. Can an agnostic proselytize?
"Proselytize" just means trying to convert someone from one belief system to another. so of cousre an agnostic could proselytize; they would just say my belief system is better than yours, becasue mine is right and yours is Wrong.
A non_DIR diver could make fun of a 7 ft hose on a recreational NDL dive, saying, "Ha, do you think you are in a cave and need to share-air single file through some restriction? Anyway, that long hose can get trapped, entangled, allow the reg to dangle and be damaged, and is unnecessary overkill for this diving. It is harder to use and takes more care and training, so what is the point?" Yes, that would be proselytizing; but have you ever heard it?

Umm… just turn your head. Situational awareness doesn’t have to be completely sacrificed if you’re horizontal. No reason to do this unless you’re at the surface.
Hey can you do me a favor and post a picture of yourself with your head turned 180 degrees?

My neck isn't that flexible, and I find it much easier to be vertical and be able to look up and turn around to look in all directions with minimal resistance.

But if you can do the same while pronated horizontally, my curiosity is begging for a pic

Hey can you do me a favor and post a picture of yourself with your head turned 180 degrees?

My neck isn't that flexible, and I find it much easier to be vertical and be able to look up and turn around to look in all directions with minimal resistance.

But if you can do the same while pronated horizontally, my curiosity is begging for a pic
He uses a mirror on the back of his hand. He wouldn't want to over exert himself with actually looking behind him.

He uses a mirror on the back of his hand. He wouldn't want to over exert himself with actually looking behind him.
Flat mirrors just don't have the field of view. Convex mirror makes things look smaller, and with my eyesite, that's an additional risk. I'll take looking up.

There's no scientific studies backing the whole "you need to be perfectly horizontal for offgassing" anyway. If someone wants to take that risk (or any risk), that's not my problem if something happens. I'll put that under Intellectual Darwinism.

The popcorn bowl needs refilled, this is real fun to read! I believe in the Dive and Let Dive mentality. GUE/DIR standards have some stuff that I use and some that I don't. I relate talking about DIR vs non-DIR just like talking about sex. I am OK with, and sometimes welcome, someone telling me a better way or more enjoyable way to do it. But, for God's Sake, don't tell me I am doing it wrong. As long as I come out of the water or bedroom with a smile on my face then I obviously did not do it wrong! Open debates on what can be better or not is a healthy exercise, but the individual must and should make the decision if it is "right" for them or not! I will never be a professional at either activity, but participation can be fun! Some like the rigidness of DIR, I just want to have fun! Keep Diving, safely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom