Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR isn't an agency. GUE is, but it's not being drug through the mud, just some of its founding dogma that was screamed from the masts to the depths as the only safe way to submerge.

Go ahead and slam PADI, they're always worth talking crap about.
People always drag GUE through the mud with the same reaction that you all have to this thread. That “founding dogma” is exactly what makes GUE what it is.

People always drag GUE through the mud with the same reaction that you all have to this thread. That “founding dogma” is exactly what makes GUE what it is.
And what continues to hold them in the mud by the vast majority of bubble blowers.

I've said since the start that it has a place and that's cave/penetration dives. The rest is just mud in your alt.

And what continues to hold them in the mud by the vast majority of bubble blowers.

I've said since the start that it has a place and that's cave/penetration dives. The rest is just mud in your alt.
It's a spectrum, isn't it?
Some on ScubaBoard seem to feel that ANY training/certification on ANY topic by ANY agency is a waste of time and a "money grab." You can learn it all yourself by trial-and-error and reading (free, of course) books and watching YouTube. That is one end of the spectrum.
The other end is DIR.
Most of us are in the middle.
But the ends of the spectrum are very noisy so it sounds like there are lots of them. There are not.

And despite the fact that you think it only belongs where there’s a ceiling it is becoming more and more well-known in the recreational community as well as adopting a more welcoming attitude. It’s almost like they are on to something. 🤔

What “vast majority of bubble blowers” are you talking about? I’ve never met a single diver IN-PERSON who is-

A. An actually competent diver
B. Actually knows anything about GUE
C. Under the age of 50

…Say a single negative thing about GUE’s curriculum. They may disagree with certain aspects of it (myself included), but as a whole an organization lauded for its high standards and self-regulatory capability (looking at you, PADI) is most certainly not being kept in the mud.

It's a spectrum, isn't it?
Some on ScubaBoard seem to feel that ANY training/certification on ANY topic by ANY agency is a waste of time and a "money grab." You can learn it all yourself by trial-and-error and reading (free, of course) books and watching YouTube. That is one end of the spectrum.
The other end is DIR.
Most of us are in the middle.
But the ends of the spectrum are very noisy so it sounds like there are lots of them. There are not.
“The other end is DIR”

The more you post, the more I’m convinced that you don’t know that many DIR divers.

And despite the fact that you think it only belongs where there’s a ceiling it is becoming more and more well-known in the recreational community as well as adopting a more welcoming attitude. It’s almost like they are on to something. 🤔

What “vast majority of bubble blowers” are you talking about? I’ve never met a single diver IN-PERSON who is-

A. An actually competent diver
B. Actually knows anything about GUE
C. Under the age of 50

…Say a single negative thing about GUE’s curriculum. They may disagree with certain aspects of it (myself included), but as a whole an organization lauded for its high standards and self-regulatory capability (looking at you, PADI) is most certainly not being kept in the mud.
Thanks, I needed that laugh

Like the JJJJ (GUE-JJ) rebreather? Includes a twinset whilst the vast majority of rebreather divers use self-contained bailouts.

Man this exact thread has been on the internet since electrons were born. You all take the bait every damn time. Find something, anything, unique or original to talk about.
OR just ignore it if it's bothering you.

Like the JJJJ (GUE-JJ) rebreather? Includes a twinset whilst the vast majority of rebreather divers use self-contained bailouts.
I don’t dive CCR yet and I’m not commenting on Jared’s marketing strategy (for what it is). This is no different than your local dive shop pushing Cressi, Mares, or whatever because that’s what they are affiliated with. I’m commenting on what the organization successfully did for its divers and for diving as a whole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom