Attaching Regulators to my person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no experience with the brands of mouthpieces that you are talking about here. However, I use Oceanic moldable mouthpieces (on my primary, my backup and my stages/deoc bottles) because they look just like a regular mouthpiece, are the same size, but they use moldable bite tabs (heat in water, bite, then they retain that shape thereafter). Using them allows me to pretty much completely close my jaws, causing me absolutely no jaw fatigue even on dives that last for hours.

In the event that you donate to a buddy with your primary regulator on the long hose, the worst case scenario is that your buddy will not be able to close his/her jaws completely, but in any event no worse than using a stock mouthpiece in the first place. I have done tons of air sharing drills this way with divers all the time. None have even noticed that I am using a none standard mouthpiece.

I would strongly suggest going with a mouthpiece change rather than re-configuring your gear. Check out the Oceanics before making such radical changes.

ScubaDadMiami:
I have no experience with the brands of mouthpieces that you are talking about here. However, I use Oceanic moldable mouthpieces...

I am glad to hear that the air-sharing worries are largely unfounded. FYI, the advantage of the Manta-bite, besides being more comfortable than a stock mouthpiece, is that it will not come out of your mouth even if you are unconscious, waiting for someone to notice that you are incapacitated. So, assuming that you are still breathing, you will be breathing in air rather than water.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom