Attaching Fusion boots to Aqualung Fusion drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking for info on how to attach the Aqualung/Whites Fusion boots to the Fusion drysuit.

I just picked up a Fusion Bullet drysuit. The shop owner tossed in a set of fusion boots that were used 2 or 3 times. I have the black plastic insert that goes into the sock of the suit.

I have seen the video where you put carton behind the heel to cover the velcro so you can slide your foot in and attach the velcro tabs....

....my question is: do you keep the plastic insert in the suit/boot? The shop owner mentioned it was only necessary when installing and then you remove it but he was speaking very fast in French and I am not sure I understood him correctly.

My google-fu can't seem to locate any product instructions other than a short video on youtube.

Anyone with experience with these that can advise?

-Z

The insert is to stop the valcro for binding during installation, you pull it out when you fit the boots.

IMO neoprene boots work great, the fusion boots is a pain in the behind, at least to me.

I have never used any insert. I have hundreds of dives and after every dive day or dive trip, I take the boots off, because they dry better when not attached and then I put the boot back on when I am suiting up to dive again. It is very easy to attach the boot once you are already in the drysuit and slide your foot into it. I tried only once to attach the boot by hand and it was painful and useless- I gave up. Get into your drysuit and then attach the boot. No problems.

Thanks for the responses....I am referring to the black plastic insert that is put into the sock of the drysuit, that is supposed to "lock" the suit in the boot. The shop owner who gave me the boots said once the boots are attached that I can toss the insert he eluded that otherwise my foot may slide against the hard black plastic of the insert.

I understand the idea of removing the boots after diving to facilitate drying....how does one keep the velcro from catching when putting on and taking off the boots since the sock has one side of the velcro and the boot had the other....do you take some spare velcro (loop side) and put it in the boot to cover up the hook side of the velcro to keep it from catching or do they come new with pieces to cover the hook side?

The idea of hanging the suit upside down from the boots appeals to me, I may change my mind about this in the future but I am interested in knowing how to properly set them up.

-Z

The insert is to stop the valcro for binding during installation, you pull it out when you fit the boots.

IMO neoprene boots work great, the fusion boots is a pain in the behind, at least to me.

You are referring to the piece of carton/cardboard used to block the velcro in the boot when putting them on. I understand that the carton is pulled out once the foot is in the boot. What I am referring to in my question are the black plastic inserts that came with the boots that are put inside the sock of the suit when fitting the suit and boots together. I am looking to know if one keeps the plastic insert in the boot or if it is removed once the installation is complete.

-Z

I removed the plastic inserts and threw them away. Never used them once.

^^^

Update:
I spoke with Aqualung tech support and they stated the plastic insert is meant to stay in the drysuit sock inside the boot but that it is a personal choice. They said It is supposed to keep the sock from bunching up and help "lock" the sock in place.

I have used the suit 3 times in a pool and once in open water. Having the boots attached seems to make the gearing-up part of diving simple as there is no need to bend over and fuss with pulling boots over the sock/foot, getting the sock situated in the boot, and then tying/tightening the boot while sweating ones arse off on a hot day when preparing to dive in cold water.

Having the boots attached semi-permanently appeals to me because there is no chance to puncture/abrade the suit's sock because one is not standing/walking around with the sock directly in contact with the ground, it is protected by the boot. The velcro ring around the cuff of the lower leg that attaches to the velcro on the boot seems to do a really good job of creating a barrier against anything like pebbles and perhaps sand from entering the boot (though I have not waddled up a beach from a surf exit yet).

Why not just get the Fusion Rockboots, then you dont need to do anything but slip them on and tighten them up.

I think by Fusion Rockboots you are referring to the Whites/Aqualung Evo 3 boots.....the reason why I don't have these (yet) is because the shop I bought my Fusion drysuit from gave me the very slightly used Fusion boots for free. They seem to work well despite the lack of arch support (which I plan on experimenting with a set of Super Feet sport insoles I will pilfer from my ski boots) and the lack of ankle support, but this makes them no different than using a wetsuit boot, which is what I have read some people use.

Before I invest in a true rock boot, I think I will invest in a pee valve.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.
-Z

I don't think my boots are specific Whites/Aqualung boots.
My suit came without boots, I tried a number on until I got the best 'fit'.

I always put the boots on after the suit. The only piece of advice is not to walk around in the socks until after you have put the boots on. This isn't unique to the Whites suit, its the same for any suit with rock boots.
You often hear of people who have 'leaky' suits. Often the holes are in the soles of the feet, or the leg or back of the suit. From where people stand on the suit when changing. Best advice I was given is get a changing mat, and avoid standing on the suit.

Gareth

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom