Atomic Z3 or Scubapro mk21/S560

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at getting first reg before trip to Bonaire. Have narrowed it down to either the Z3 or MK21/S560. Cant find too much info on the S560. I would like to have the same brand octo and I will have a wireless transmitter connected in addition to a normal SPG (backup). Only plan on diving warmish waters.

Thoughts on customer service, ease of annual servicing, and overall quality would be greatly appreciated. Also any other bits of information are welcome.

On a side note, on Scubapro's website they talk about "air balanced" and "classic downstream" (for the Octo). How do these technologies compare with Pneumatically-Balanced stages etc.

Thank you for any info

Z3 means that the annual service is performed every 3 years...about all that's recommended yearly is an inspection.

I'm on my 2nd set of Atomics in about 8 years. Nothing wrong with the first set - my buddy still uses it currently - I just upgraded. I have not had any problems with my current set since bought new in 2007. The tech told me last time the only reason he changed the parts was because he already had it apart. I attribute at least some of that to the seat-saver design.

I also looked at a Mk25T/600T before I bought my Atomic T2. Even tried it in a pool - couldn't try the T2 at the time. I don't know why exactly but I liked the Atomic better. Maybe the 2nd stage seemed a little less bulky? The Atomic founders/engineers left Scubapro to build better gear. I personally think they did.

One advantage the Z3 has over the S560 is the 2nd stage Comfort Swivel. My first Atomic didn't have that, I really like it.

I did read a pretty favorable review of the Mk21 somewhere recently. It would've been online, I don't get magazines any more.

Last edited:
I dive with Atomic and really like them. Easy to breath, service, etc. ScubaPro makes descent enough gear but I would not recommend them simply because I think their corporate policies suck - do a search on their ever changing "free parts for life program". I also have some issues with their parent company but will not digress into that.

Your thinking on the octo is a good plan. I like having an backup reg that performs as well as my primary. Atomics octos are spendy in that one could buy a full set for not much more.

From what I can tell the SP 560 is an S600 with a plastic air barrel. SP changed to a metal air barrel in the S600 in 2012 or 2013, before that they were plastic. So an S-560 is just an old style S-600 which is an excellent regulator.

Downstream regulators are unbalanced while air-balanced are balanced. Balanced means that the regulator will breath the same regardless of tank pressure. This does not matter much with a second stage because your first stage is balanced so the intermediate pressure will not vary much with tank pressure. Octos breath worse than primaries because 1) they are tuned less aggressively to prevent free flows and 2) are usually a cheaper design. When tuned properly a R195 breaths fine but not as nice as an S600.

I would not worry too much about "annual service" as this is used to mainly as a revenue generating tool. There is no reason a Scubapro would require any more maintenance than an Atomic. Look at the sticky on checking a regulator and do that to monitor the health of your regulators.

For second stages, why would you get a plastic valve tube (SP) instead of a zirconium plated brass valve tube (AA)? For first stages, AA was founded by former SP techs who wanted to make better regs...they're basically going to be very similar piston regs.

Customer service with AA is going to be much better than SP unless you insist on going to your LDS, in which case the shop's relationship with the company is going to control. With AA, you can just call the factory up direct and deal with them regarding warranty issues and/or service. With SP, you get what corporate decides you/your shop will get, and you'll like it.

Bias disclaimer: I won't own (but have dived) any SP regs because of the warranty games I've seen them play and the 'Company policy is what it is and if you don't like it too bad' attitude I've seen SP and its dealers often display. I own almost a dozen AA regs, mostly cave-ringed M1s for doubles and stages plus an ST1 1st with some M1 seconds for single tank...so yeah, I like Atomic :)

What kind of conditions will you be diving? In warmer water, the metal parts make no difference. Both Scubapro and Atomics make fine regulators. Many on SB have strong preferences, for a variety of reasons. I'm surprised we have not had a HOG post.

What kind of conditions will you be diving? In warmer water, the metal parts make no difference. Both Scubapro and Atomics make fine regulators. Many on SB have strong preferences, for a variety of reasons. I'm surprised we have not had a HOG post.

We just did:wink:

In warmer water, the metal parts make no difference.

True in terms of freeze protection, false in terms of long-term durability. I'd also be interested in comparing the lever/pivot design in the AA to the plastic barreled SP.

I have owned a Z2 and it is the best regulator for tropical warm waters that I have breathed from. If you are talking cold water then there are better regs but for tropical warm waters I would not get anything other than an Atomic.

For second stages, why would you get a plastic valve tube (SP) instead of a zirconium plated brass valve tube (AA)?

A metal air barrel is available on the S600 or the G260.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom