Atomic Vs Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ,

I get what you're saying. A few years ago, when I got certified, I was in the same position as your friend--I just wanted a reg of my own, cheap. However, because I did not understand the differences in attributes of piston and diaphragm regs, price dictated what reg to buy which in my case ended up being a piston reg.
In time, as more of my diving took place locally in very cold, sometimes dirty water, I came to realize the benefits of an environmentally-sealed, diaphragm reg. So, I ended up selling my piston, at a loss of course, and purchased an environmentally-sealed, diaphragm reg.
This is not that big of a deal, but I probably would have saved some money in the end had I purchased the 'right' [for me] reg in the first place.
At any rate, since your friend is not concerned with environmental sealing of his regulator, this is a moot argument.

I just bought my first regs.

I dove them in the pool first at the LDS and spent about 2 or 3 hours playing around with the oceanic, dive rite, and atomic m1

I really was pleased with the atomic and oceanic and tried both twice. I choose the atomic for the extended exhaust ports and more metal parts for colder water diving. Both felt nice in the pool but that was the extent of the oceanic experience. After diving the atomic, I am really happy with the bubbles going away from my mask.

that is what really made the decision easy between the two for me

I have no experience with Atomic but it seems that Scuba Pro is its main competitor.

I have heard many many people rave about Scuba Pro regulators so I decided to do a side by side comparison between MK25/A700 and Oceanic FDX 10 DVT/Delta 4 (shop didn't have EOS)

The results were not what I expected.

The Delta 4 breathed noticeably easier than the A700.

I did like the all metal construction of the scubapro and the warranty/free parts for service.

I would say of the two I liked oceanic delta 4 the best. (the delta 4 i tried had the swivel)

I have no experience with Atomic but it seems that Scuba Pro is its main competitor.

I have heard many many people rave about Scuba Pro regulators so I decided to do a side by side comparison between MK25/A700 and Oceanic FDX 10 DVT/Delta 4 (shop didn't have EOS)

The results were not what I expected.

The Delta 4 breathed noticeably easier than the A700.

I did like the all metal construction of the scubapro and the warranty/free parts for service.

I would say of the two I liked oceanic delta 4 the best. (the delta 4 i tried had the swivel)

How about Atomic vs Oceanic vs Zeagle Flathead 7 ?

I wish I could find all of them in one spot. The only reason I mentioned the scuba pro regulators is because I hear that they are real similar to Atomic regs in ease of breathing. I couldn't tell much different in ease of breathing between the scubapro and the sherwood regs i have. But side by side the oceanic delta 4 blew the others away.

Personally, I lean more towards the Atomic, but its all up to you. Ive seen people with 2 different regs that loved theirs and hated the other persons. Its all preference, I suggest trying them if you can.

The only reason I mentioned the scuba pro regulators is because I hear that they are real similar to Atomic regs in ease of breathing.

The only people I can think of that would say such a thing are SP rep's or retailers :)

Just ordered the Atomic ST1. Been diving on a B2 for about 2 years (love it) - this will go to
my DW, and her Mares will become a backup as well as be available when our 17 years dives
with us.

Will post my thoughts on the ST1 once I get a chance to dive it. Hoping it gets here this week
before my Brockville trip.

Hard to answer until you give a bit more on your details..

Someone please ask the proverbials, where they plan to dive, what they are diving in, how often, budget range, do they know or understand the difference between the two, how did they get this far in the selection process, etc. This thread got ratcheted over his head too quickly, no?

Although it shouldn't be, most of the time the price is the deciding factor for the gear setup that is bought, especially for a newbie. They don't know where to start researching features and when they find them, they don't understand them. Usually the primary input is from their LDS where they are making the purchase.

FWIW, chances are until you grow gills, you are going to be extremely happy with either setup. Both regs systems are great, both have good reputations and warranties. It will by your personal preference and diving environment that should be the deciding factor.

I wish I had been able to start at this level of gear instead of the process of selling me cheaper stuff knowing I would "graduate" pretty quickly, game.

Best of luck with you choice. For more specific assistance, give us more specific data about your intentions for the gear.

Back
Top Bottom