Atomic Subframe mask experience...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I wish to start a new thread on my equipment and share it with everyone else. A little on myself: I'm a new diver, I will begin my certification classes next week Saturday and Sunday being my pool dives.

I purchased the Red Atomic subframe mask and took it over to our olympic size pool today to try it out.

I had tried it out at the shop and it fit like a glove on dry land. I've been eager to drop it in the water and this is what happened.

As I tried to place the mask on I noticed I couldn't get it to stick to my face. I would adjust the straps to make them less tight and nothing. As soon as I would dip my face in the pool within seconds I could feel small amounts of water trickleing in. So then I would re-adjust the mask and try again with no better results.

I would pull my head out of the water and notice that as I slightly inhaled I got no pressure in fact I felt air slide in by my mouth. Upset thinking this mask sucks I began to think why did it stick to my face at the dive shop and not in my pool.

Then as I was about to give up I felt my face, oh my talk about homer simpson 5 oclock shadow. If that wasn't it then what was it? So after snorkeling for some time with the mask working so/so I went home and shaved the stuble.

Felt my face like a baby's behind and placed the mask on; oh my it was like super glue. Lesson learned to the newbie like me; make sure your face is clear of any hair from head and make sure your face in close shaven, it certainly made a hundred percent difference in this mask.

Besides the drip that I corrected the field of vision on this sturdy mas was incredible and the pool looked so sharp considering I've only tested this mask I don't have the greates baseline other than masks I've used in pools in the past.

The quality in design is felt from the moment you pull it out of the box. I will give you more feed back as I review it more on clearing water on my pool dive.

MG

Lesson learned to the newbie like me; make sure your face is clear of any hair from head and make sure your face in close shaven, it certainly made a hundred percent difference in this mask.
MG

Mike,

I have a close trimmed beard that my Atomic sub-frame sits over and so far I've had little to no leaking from my beard... putting my mask over my hood is an entirely different matter :D

My Atomic Frameless fits fine over 2-3 days of stubble.

You must grow barbed wire!

Did you have any trouble with fogging? I bought a Black/Yellow Subframe and scrubbed it with Sea Buff, toothpaste, Dawn dish soap, and even put the mask and case in dishwasher, still fogged. I put Sea Gold anti-fog in mask before every dive and made no differance. I contacted Atomic Aquatics and they paid for me to send back to them to check it out. They dissenfected mask with alcohol and sonic cleaned (whatever that is). No more fogging. Their customer service is outstanding. Oh, they also told me Sea Buff in useless for cleaning new masks.

Wow,

If it wasn't my stuble then how about suntan lotion that I put all over my face before I went into the pool. (Sun tan lotion + stuble = leak ?)

This was not a constant leak that filled up my mask just a dribble, a small pocket at the bottom of my nose, it was more irritating than anything.

Well, I won't know more about the trickle until this Saturday when I do my official pool dives. I will go clean shaven and will not wear any lotion on my face.

Question about my hooded vest, do I place the mask over the face linning or does it go on my skin? I've heard a lot of divers saying the seal is somewhat hard.

Any feedback will be appreciated, I have the Merino hooded vest 7mm that should come in this week, I ordered it yesterday from Leisurepro.

Thanks,

contacted Atomic Aquatics and they paid for me to send back to them to check it out. They dissenfected mask with alcohol and sonic cleaned (whatever that is). No more fogging.

Hmmm. Why don't they do that to all masks before shipping them off to sale?

Darcy? :D

protection so the glass does not get damaged?

Just got back from my 1st pool dive; this mask is diffinetly a winner it withstood all my test via the instructor with no leaks...

I even went without shaving for 2.5 days, the stubble was back and I anticipated leak and got nothing....

Thumbs up...

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom