Atomic Subframe mask experience...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a Subframe for my Dad and I must say it is one impressive mask. It's the only one out of his whole collection that doesn't leak on him all the time, and the field of view cannot be beat. It did take some scrubbing (and some more and some more) to get it to stop fogging but now that he's got that taken care of it's top notch. Guess I should have sent it to Darcy for her magic treatment and saved my fingers a little bit of a work out. Oh well, live and learn, now all I have to do is get a Subframe for myself Dad doesn't want to share any more.

sonic cleaning? I'm guessing that's what they use in eye glass stores to clean glasses. I don't get the alcohol part though. Could a rinse and scrub with rubbing alcohol be better than using toothpaste or soft scrub?

Its a great seal mask fits very well

Wow,

(This was not a constant leak that filled up my mask just a dribble, a small pocket at the bottom of my nose, it was more irritating than anything.

Well, I won't know more about the trickle until this Saturday when I do my official pool dives. I will go clean shaven and will not wear any lotion on my face.)

Thanks,
I get this same strange bubble or trickle at the nose of my Atomics mask. I clear it out and its right back again. I can't get rid of it. I like the mask except for this. In a pool test it was great, but with any upside down head movement and the trickle becomes pervasive. As I have already installed prescription lenses I am committed but I'm still searching for the perfect mask. The Atomics subframe is not it. Only close.

Further questions:

1. Night vision: Can you tell the difference with a subframe mask?
2. Coating: Based on their advertisement, both side of lens are coated. If then, is it ok to scrub inside lens with a toothpaste?

Thanks in advance,

Most masks come coated on both sides. That's not unique to Atomic. And yes it is safe to do. :p

Most masks come coated on both sides. That's not unique to Atomic. And yes it is safe to do. :p

They are mentioning about a special coating based on their commercial as I recall..:confused:

Further questions:

1. Night vision: Can you tell the difference with a subframe mask?

Thanks in advance,

If you get the ARC mask, it is amazing how much better you see at night. If you dive at night a lot, it is one to keep in your bag.

I have been selling Atomic masks for almost 2 years. Both the frameless and the Subframe mask are the only 2 masks in the store that fits every single face.

Thanks Amy,

I think that is the coating that I was trying to refer.

ARC: Anti-Reflection Coating.

"ARC” is a multi-layer metal oxide coating process applied to both sides of the Ultra-Clear lenses. This allows more light to enter the mask by reducing light reflections off the inside and outside surface of the lens. The metal oxide coating is only a few microns thick.

Question:

1. Does ARC has a correction lens option?
2. Doesn't a toothpaste rubbing destroy the metal oxide coating?

Hi Hoosier,
No option for corrrection on the ARC other than the glue in's (which wouldn't be coated) at this time.
We do recommed using toothpaste or mask scrub to prep the mask, it won't hurt the lens. Just don't use Softscrub or anything abrasive, you know, don't scrub it on the coral :)
Cheers,
Darcy

Back
Top Bottom